72-Year-Old Retired Marine Runs Down, Kills Armed Man Who Robbed His Business
A man who robbed a 72-year-old Texas business owner at gunpoint is dead after the owner, a Marine Corps veteran, jumped in his car and chased after him, ramming him against a metal fence.
According to the Houston Chronicle, a tall man forced his way into Kenneth Kobobel, Sr.’s office Friday morning where Kobobel had been chatting with his brother. He put a 9mm handgun to Kobobel’s head, demanded money from them and screamed “You’re dead!”
He emptied the contents of the brother’s wallet and Kobobel handed him $20. Not satisfied with the amount, Kobobel said the man patted him down and upon finding a wad of bills totaling $800 yelled, “You lied to me! You’re dead!”
Kobobel said robber struck him on the head with the barrel of the gun and ran off, warning them to wait before calling 911.
Once he left, Kobobel called 911 and went outside, asking neighbors if they had seen which way he went. He then got into his car and sped off in pursuit.
Kobobel’s son, Kenneth Kobobel, Jr., who pulled up just as his father was leaving, said he wasn’t surprised his father went after the robber.
“He’s an ex-Marine,” he told the Chronicle. “He doesn’t put up with a whole lot of nothing.”
Kobobel said he spotted the robber in a strip mall parking lot, and when the robber saw Kobobel coming he raised his gun and fired at least once. Kobobel rammed him with his car, then did so again when the man prepared to fire again.
Police are calling details about the incident sketchy and are trying to determine if another vehicle might have assisted Kobobel.
Once Kobobel got out of his car, he said he saw the man lying on the ground and kicked the gun away.
“I thought it was good that I caught this jerk who’d robbed me,” Kobobel told the Chronicle. “But what I didn’t like was that this man was laying there and his life was ebbing away. I’m a Christian, and I wouldn’t want to see anybody die.”
Editor’s note: In this story’s original headline, The Blaze referred to Kobobel as an “ex-Marine.” Kobobel is a veteran of the Marine Corps. H/t Blaze readers Leslie, Mark and Doug.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 484 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 470 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 462 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 356 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 327 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ Read More
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack Read More
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 118 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Obama to address drones, Gitmo in security speech
- UN: 22 deaths worldwide from coronavirus
- Togo police fire tear gas at protesters
- McQuaid: Panel to study UCI-Armstrong 'collusion'
- Jewelry stolen a 2nd time during Cannes festival
- Russian court denies Pussy Riot's Alekhina parole
- Czech police seek US man suspected of 4 murders
- Jerry Lewis repeats his distaste for female comics