Study: All Major News Outlets Have Left-Leaning Bias that ‘Distorts’ Minds
- UCLA political scientist Dr. Tim Groseclose pens new book about liberal media bias
- Groseclose claims he has scientifically proven that mainstream outlets are biased
- Liberal media bias, he says, impacts Americans’ perspectives on important issues
Charges of media bias have existed for years. Explicit examples — and there are many — showcase journalists’ inability to hide personal perspective. But, are the mainstream media biased on the whole? Many would answer affirmatively.
In America, conservatives tend to believe that national outlets favor Democratic candidates and politicians over their Republican counterparts. But, can this be proven? UCLA political scientist Dr. Tim Groseclose says “yes.”
In his new book, Left Turn — How Liberal Media Bias Distorts the American Mind, Groseclose not only sets out to showcase that the media are biased, but he also seeks to expose the profound influence liberal bias has had on the American public. Below, CBN sheds light on some of his findings:
- All mainstream news outlets in the United States have a liberal bias.
- The Drudge Report is the most fair, balanced and centrist news outlet in the United States.
- Fox News’ “Special Report,” which is usually characterized as conservative, is not biased as far right as typical mainstream outlets are biased to the left.
Below, watch Groseclose discuss his research:
Last week, the political scientist also appeared in an interview with Fox News’ Lou Dobbs to discuss this important subject. During the interview, he said, “If you’re looking for bias, you’re not going to find it in false statements…the way that the media perpetrates bias is usually in what they don’t report.” Watch his comments, below:
Groseclose also recently took to The Washington Times opinion page to both explain and defend his research:
For the past several years, I have researched this question, trying to solve the following thought experiment: What if media bias were suddenly to disappear? In such a world, how would America look and act politically?
The answer is, approximately like Texas.
More specifically, if media bias were to disappear, according to the analysis, then America would think and vote like any region that voted around 56-43 percent for Republican John McCain in the last presidential election. Besides Texas, such regions include Kansas, North Dakota, Kentucky, Salt Lake County, Utah, and Orange County, Calif.
That the media has such an influence is a strong claim but is backed up by the science.
You can read the rest of his opinion piece here.
One of the main expectations of American media is that journalists can and will remain non-partisan and objective in their coverage of events, political campaigns and the like. Over the years, though, Republicans and conservatives have claimed that this hasn’t been the case. They point to a number of examples to back up their bias claims.
There was the 2004 controversy involving CBS’s Dan Rather and George W. Bush’s faux military documents. Back in June we reported on CNN Money‘s Jeanne Sahadi and her article calling those opposed to raising the debt ceiling “wingnuts.” And, of course, there was the media’s alleged favorable treatment of candidate Obama during the 2008 campaign.
While there are arguments to be made that these instances, among others, constitute bias, each simply serves as an anecdotal example. Unfortunately, anecdotal happenings don’t necessarily reflect what is occurring across the board. Thus, using a few examples to say that the media are all liberally-biased is not valid. To make such a claim one — like Groseclose — must undertake scientific research. Interestingly, he has done just that.
Groseclose concludes his op-ed with the following words: “It’s time the public wakes up. Media bias is more significant, complex and pernicious than people realize.” Regardless of where one stands on the level of media bias present in mainstream outlets, Groseclose’s trumpet call for a more informed and curious public is certainly a healthy quest. After all, knowing how the information we consume is crafted helps us better comprehend complex issues.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 465 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 440 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 323 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 306 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 259 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 139 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 197 Comments
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 137 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 106 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 144 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- NY funeral for student accidentally shot by police
- Clearwire board approves higher Sprint offer
- Bernanke signals Fed to maintain stimulus efforts
- IRS official in center of targeting probe: 'I have not done anything wrong.'
- EU bid to label Hezbollah wing terror group
- AAA: 31.2M drivers to take Memorial Day road trip
- Iraqi premier orders army shake-up after attacks
- FBI: Man fatally shot in Boston bombing probe