California Artist Wants to Replace Lost Eyeball with Webcam
When Tanya Vlach lost her left eye in a horrific 2005 car accident, she had to come up with a new way to continue her work as a popular visual artist in San Francisco.
She did, and she came up with something pretty revolutionary.
Vlach wants to turn her new prosthetic eye into a tiny video camera. The idea itself isn’t all that new. Television shows and films have used the concept multiple times, but Vlach’s version goes above and beyond anything imagined before.
The eye would function normally in many ways, but it would have many special effects. It would have a facial recognition feature. She’d also like it to have sensors that respond to blinking, enabling the camera to take still photographs, zoom, focus and turn on and off. Her dream is to make it web optimised, perhaps with its own app, so movement could be controlled externally.
If successful, Vlach’s experiment may have applications beyond artists and others seeking to see their lives a little differently. The technology could be useful to everyone from members of the military to personal shoppers.
But these kind of dreams don’t come cheap. She’s already raised at least $15,000, according to a report from the Daily Mail. Under a “Call For Engineers” banner on her blog, Vlach asks for financial support as well as someone to help construct the actual devise. In a posting from July 9, she writes that she’s made it 30 percent of the way to her fundraising goal, and since she’s still less than halfway there she encourages people to support her dreams through her Grow A New Eye Kickstarter Campaign.
Here’s a video that Vlach put together about her project and the way she sees it:
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 478 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 412 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 361 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 330 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 290 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ Read More
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 104 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 208 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 145 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 146 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 110 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- UK PM: London attack near barracks could be terror
- Twitter adds security measure to logins
- Am. Samoa to keep flier miles for govt travelers
- Float driver says train seemed still before crash
- ND ad agency sues creators of Cartoon Network show
- Boy achieves family dream with geography bee win
- Others who took the 5th: McGwire, Abramoff, North
- UK PM: London attack terror could be terror