Joe Biden to Gabby Giffords: ‘We’re Both Members of the Cracked Head Club’
Well, I suppose you always know where you stand with Vice President Joe Biden. Biden, who never seems to hold back from telling people exactly what he is thinking, made his latest colorful comments this Monday when he reportedly told Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords that they were both members of the “cracked head club.”
Giffords, of course, was shot in the head, sustaining grave injuries during a shooting rampage in Arizona back in January, while Biden has allegedly undergone two craniotomies of his own.
Biden reportedly got a “tip” from former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi that Giffords would be present during the House vote Monday so the Vice President showed up to see Giffords, reportedly telling her, “now we’re both members of the ‘Cracked Head Club.’”
Biden went on to tell reporters, “you know, I had two craniotomies. For real. They literally took the top of my head off. Twice. Now, the wags in Delaware, when the second operation occurred, wrote and said, ‘Well, it’s because they couldn’t find a brain the first time!’”
Boston.com reports on the Vice President’s “beaming smile” as he shared time with the Congresswoman followed by enjoying a hug from none other than Rep. Michele Bachmann:
“She and I just commiserated about the steps to recovery,” he added. “Hers, much more consequential. But it scares the living devil out of you when you’re recovering from a serious operation or injury to your head. But it comes back. And knowing people who’ve been through it and came back was helpful, for me anyway. You know what I mean?”
He wouldn’t say whether there were plans for Giffords to go to the White House, but one thing he was certain of.
“She’s remarkable. She’s remarkable,” he said, getting almost nose-to-nose with a nearby reporter. “Will matters. Will matters. I tell you what, she’s the embodiment of a strong, strong woman. Think about what that woman has been through, and think about her determination.”
Giffords returned to the House floor Monday night for the first time since her shooting to cast a vote in support of the compromise debt bill. The Congresswoman’s appearance struck an emotional nerve with lawmakers from both sides of the political aisle.
Biden summed up his experience to reporters by touching on yet another emotional moment decades ago, when he witnessed then cancer-stricken former vice president Hubert Humphrey share a tearful, “three minute” long embrace with his “ideological enemy,” Barry Goldwater.
Biden certainly has a way with words.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 496 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 477 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 467 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 379 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 317 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video Read More
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 175 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 293 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 124 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 121 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Stocks end lower as investors reassess Fed worries
- NASA head views progress on asteroid lasso mission
- Pandora posts in-line 1Q loss, upbeat sales
- Coded goal: RG3 still aiming for Redskins' opener
- Body of 2nd child found in deadly Minn. landslide
- David Beckham bids au revoir to soccer
- Gap's 1st-quarter profits rises 43 percent
- Committee hits stretch run for NY-NJ Super Bowl