Canadian Health Officials Keeping People Healthy…by Handing Out Crack Pipes
Canadian health officials are keeping people healthy, one crack pipe at a time.
That’s right, Vancouver Coastal Health is reportedly set to roll out a pilot project come October that will see healthcare workers hand out crack-kits to welcome participants. Each “kit” will reportedly contain a clean, unused crack-pipe, mouthpiece, filter and above all, condoms. And all at the modest cost of between $50,000 and $60,000.
What’s more, Vancouver is just next in line after several cities, including Calgary and Winnipeg, that have a system of distributing crack-pipes to drug users. The goal is, according to health officials, is to prevent the spread of Hepatitis C, among other illnesses.
But, according to one health official, participants of the pilot will have to act fast, while “supplies” last.
“We know there’s a demand and chances are what we’re going to be able to supply won’t last very long,” said Dr. Reka Gustafson, an official with Vancouver Coastal Health. The program is set to run for six months to one year.
According to the Vancouver Sun:
The intent is to connect health care workers with crack cocaine smokers to evaluate how many of the drug users are in the city and what equipment they need to lower their risk of catching diseases such as hepatitis C, HIV and even respiratory illnesses.
“There’s been a shift to crack cocaine smoking and we want to make sure the services we provide are the services they need … if we’re providing syringes and what we need are pipes, we’re not serving them,” Gustafson said.
Health officials already provide mouthpieces for crack pipes but not the pipe themselves. This means many drug users are sharing the glass pipes, which may be old or chipped, and are at risk of contracting a disease, such as hepatitis C, from cuts on their mouths, or respiratory illness or pneumonia from inhaling crumbling filters or the crack directly into their lungs.
“It’s just understanding and knowing the health consequences of crack cocaine smoking,” Gustafson said.
“Mouth pieces alone are not enough. Health consequences don’t just come from the mouth piece; they come from unsafe pipes.
The pilot targets Vancouver’s rising crack cocaine smokers, which already number about 15,000 in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside alone. The project was reportedly initiated due to an increased demand for crack smoking supplies in the area.
But we can all breathe a sigh of relief, as the kits apparently only contain the mouth pieces and push sticks used to clean the filters, and not the drugs themselves.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 467 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 441 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 342 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 326 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 266 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 163 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 203 Comments
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 141 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 106 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 146 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 100 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Feds open special inspection into NC nuke plant
- IRS official Lerner: 'I did nothing wrong'
- Chinese premier visits Pakistan, praises ties
- Iran expands nuke technology
- Complaint accuses Exxon Mobil of anti-gay bias
- Douglas, Damon dramatize a steamy show-biz affair
- Germans, French eye plan to create jobs for young
- Polish man gets quick face transplant after injury