Oprah: ‘Happy to Be of Service’ to Obama in 2012
Oprah Winfrey‘s daytime talk show is over, but her adulation for President Obama is far from it.
Winfrey is “happy to be of service” for Obama’s reelection campaign, she said in a statement Wednesday. “I supported Barack Obama in 2008 because I believed then as I do now that he is the right man for the job,” she said.
Back in ’08, Winfrey’s backing of Obama helped him bring down the most well-known well-oiled campaign machine: Bill and Hillary Clinton. When she first interviewed Obama in a 2004 issue of her magazine “O,” the queen of daytime said, “[W]hen I decided to talk with you (Obama), people around me were like, ‘What’s happened to you?’ I said, ‘I think this is beyond and above politics.’ It feels like something new.”
This time, Winfrey will have to acknowledge more than “something new;” she’ll have to talk about Obama’s record. And with unemployment teetering around 9 percent and the president’s approval rating hitting new lows, energizing voters (white working-class women in particular) will likely be a bigger struggle than it was in ’08.
Winfrey’s daytime show ended in May. Since then, she has taken on the role of CEO at the Oprah Winfrey Network, her cable venture that has struggled to find its place in a sea of competing channels.
Watch Oprah campaign for Obama in ’08:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 503 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 469 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 460 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 351 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 326 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack Read More
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 117 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Japanese man, 80, oldest to top Everest _ for now
- La Scala scales back on productions due to crisis
- 26 killed in 2 simultaneous car bombs in Niger
- UN: 22 deaths worldwide from coronavirus
- Thunderstorms slow Oklahoma tornado cleanup
- Pakistan arrested American who was killed by drone
- Nixon library hosts 40th reunion for Vietnam POWs
- US new home sales up 2.3 percent in April