Is Alleged Facebook Hack Threat by ‘Anonymous’ a Hoax?
It’s a curious video. In it, the hacker collective “Anonymous” threatens to kill Facebook on November 5. That’s enough to scare many, not only because so many people’s lives are connected to the social networking site, but because it would be a major breach of a major site. But before you fret too much, an information security specialist and others suggest the video may be a hoax.
As reported by Time:
“The news around #Anonymous to attack #Facebook on Nov 5 most probably is fake,” tweeted Eugene Kaspersky, chief executive and co-founder of Kaspersky Lab, an information security specialist, adding, “pay attention to the strange Twitter name they used and links to websites with adverts.”
Watch the YouTube video that made the announcement of this allegedly planned attack and says “that Facebook knows more about you than your own family.”
Other sites like PC World also believe the video is a hoax due to its production compared to other Anonymous videos and the amount of time it took for the video to go viral under a new YouTube account (the video was posted to YouTube July 16):
First off, there’s the video announcing the operation, embedded below, which sports the same logo and robotic voice as previous Anonymous video releases, but the production value overall is far lower than others from the group. It was posted on YouTube almost a month ago under a new account, “FacebookOP,” and seems to have languished there without receiving much attention from the press or Anonymous’ own promotional outlets until reports in German and Spanish-language media picked up the story this week and it quickly spread from there.
@Anonops — a Twitter account linked to the group — confirmed those sentiments on Twitter with the following:
Anonymous is most recently responsible for broke into a Syrian Ministry of Defense Website and displayed a message of support to the Syrian people’s revolt against the rule of Bashar al-Asad, as reported by The Blaze. It also attacked 70 law enforcement websites in the United States on August 6 and in July announced it had breached NATO security.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 505 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 469 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 391 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 390 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 327 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 100 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 202 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 140 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 102 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 125 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Red Wings top Blackhawks 2-0, take 3-1 series lead
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch
- Asia stock markets edge up after big sell-off
- Chinese media: North Korea envoy offers talks
- I-5 bridge collapses in NW Wash.; people in water
- Wash. State Patrol: I-5 bridge collapses into Skagit River; sends vehicles, people into water
- NJ franchisee: We'll fix any fake-liquor problems
- Rep. Jo Bonner resigning to take Ala. college post