Detroit 187: 16 Shot, 7 Dead in Motor City Within 24 Hours
Violence has erupted in Detroit. Since 6 a.m. Friday 16 people have been shot, 7 of those are now dead, and the Detroit News reports that police are scrambling to curb the bloodshed which has put the city on pace for 350 murders this year:
“A 14-year-old boy was shot and killed Saturday night after police released details about a 24-hour spate of shootings in the city that left six others dead and nine injured.
Detroit Police say the juvenile was shot around 6 p.m. Saturday in the 4600 block of Coplin while he and an 18-year-old boy were playing with a gun that went off. The bullet struck the 14-year-old, killing him.Police said the suspect is in custody and the weapon has been recovered.
The shooting follows nine others that occurred between 6 a.m. Friday and 6 a.m. Saturday.At one scene, five people were shot, police said. At another, three people were shot. The remainder of victims were shot at separate locations.One other victim was in critical condition, one in stable and the remainder in serious condition at area hospitals.
The city was on pace for 350 murders this year, according to an analysis by The Detroit News. In a city that has lost 25 percent of its population since 2000, that could put the year on pace to reach the highest per-capita rates in a decade.”
What perhaps makes the boom in shootings even more disturbing has been the location of each attack. Victims have been gunned down on foot or shot in “drive-bys” at backyard parties, walking to a basketball court, and even while changing a car tire.
WXYZ obtained this statement from Detroit Mayor Dave Bing’s office regarding the surge in violence:
“Reducing violent crime is our number one priority. Chief Godbee and the men and women of the Detroit Police Department are working around the clock to bring these criminals to justice. Our community must continue to work with us to stop this kind of violence. Every resident deserves to be safe and feel safe in their neighborhood.”
Detroit Police Chief Ralph Godbee is preparing plans to have as many as 50 officers per shift to guard the streets according to the Detroit News. The city has about 2,800 officers, some of which will be pulled off administrative jobs to help Chief Godbee execute his new strategy.
Earlier in June, the city saw shootings take place at an 8th grade graduation party and high school reunion picnic. The Detroit Free Press reports that at least 20 people were shot during another violent weekend between 6 a.m. July 29 and 6 a.m. August 1.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 524 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 464 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 453 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 333 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 324 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 268 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 147 Comments
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Father of man shot in Boston probe shares regrets
- 20 killed in 2 simultaneous car bombs in Niger
- West Bank and romance prominent in 'Omar'
- German opposition party marks bittersweet 150th
- Oil down to near $93 on Chinese recovery concerns
- UK official: Suspects part of previous probes
- $2B in Okla. tornado damage means hard recovery
- For Philadelphia bicyclist, a cat is his co-pilot