Allen West on Martin Luther King Jr.: Blacks ‘Have Not Overcome’
During a brief interview for the National Journal, Rep. Allen West shared some rather profound thoughts on his experience growing up in the Atlanta neighborhood where Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was raised, and where Ebenezer Baptist Church was situated.
While West was only a young boy of 10 the day King was assassinated, he recalled the wave of sadness that overwrought his parents, relatives and others in the community, calling it an “incredibly emotional moment.”
West, who believes King’s message is as relevant today as it was when it was first delivered, said that “if Dr. King were to come back and see what has become of the black community, he would be appalled: The exorbitantly high unemployment rate, the second- and third-generation welfare families, the rampant decimation of the inner-city black communities, the incarceration rate of young black men, and the breakdown of the black family would all bring a tear to his eye.”
West also added that because the black community has gone “backwards” from King’s dream, “we have not overcome:”
The black community is now existing on a new plantation, a 21st-century plantation [that] enslaves their will and conscience … actually worse than physical slavery. We have gone backwards from Dr. King’s dream; regardless of certain individual success stories, collectively, we are failing. We have not overcome!
When asked if King’s message informed the everyday decisions made in his own life, West responded that indeed the message that matters to him most is “character, not color:”
My elementary school, Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic School, is located across the street from Ebenezer Baptist Church. Therefore, I grew up under the shadow of Dr. King’s legacy, message, and memory. Each day when I would walk down to the Butler Street YMCA, I would pass by Dr. King’s tomb—I would never walk past without looking over and reflecting. The most important message for me is character, not color!
So do you agree with Rep. West’s message? Would Dr. King be appalled by what West describes as a black community that has digressed, rather than progressed? And is there even a comparison to the civil rights movement of Dr. King’s day compared with the equality movements of today?
Bold emphasis in quotes added by The Blaze.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 898 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 369 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 337 Comments
- CNN Poll: Obama’s Approval Rating Unchanged Since Scandals Hit 246 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 210 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Beck and Mercury One Head to Oklahoma to Launch Tornado Relief Effort Read More
- Israeli Motorists Shocked When Nazi Flag Seen Flying Near Palestinian Mosque Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- See All the Viral Backlash Abercrombie & Fitch Has Received for Its CEO’s Comments From Years Ago That Resurfaced Again Read More
- Is This the ‘Smoking Gun’ That Ties the IRS Scandal to the White House? 191 Comments
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds Read More
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Woman Who Lost All Limbs to Flesh-Eating Bacteria Gets $200K Bionic Arms Read More
- Obama pledges urgent aid to Oklahoma town
- Manzarek, founding member of The Doors, dies at 74
- Medical examiner: 24 dead in Oklahoma twister
- Obama offers help for Oklahoma tornado victims
- Leading Senate Democrat: IRS behavior intolerable
- Teen star Zendaya finishes 1st on 'Dancing' finals
- Justin Bieber's monkey becomes German property
- Depardieu to play a Chechen man seeking revenge