Ed Schultz and Team Use Deceptive Editing to Make Rick Perry Look Like a Racist
It seems MSNBC will stop at nothing in defense of President Obama. This time, the creative team at “The Ed Show” edited a clip of Rick Perry to make it seem as though he made a racist remark about Barack Obama. Of course Ed Schultz didn’t skip a beat, latching on and editing a Perry clip mid-sentence in order to accuse the Texas governor of making a racist remark about America’s first black president.
In the clip, Perry states, “I’m a pro-business governor. I don’t make any apologies about it, and I will be a pro-business president. Getting America back to work is the most important issue that faces this country, being able to pay off $14.5 trillion or $16 trillion worth of debt. That big black cloud that hangs over America.”
So what did the “The Ed Show” host do? If you guessed he insinuated that the “black cloud” Perry spoke of is Obama, and it has something to do with his race, then you’d be correct. Here’s what Schultz had to say:
Perry just inferred President Obama is not in love with the United States of America?
You know, folks, this is the same garbage we heard from Sarah Palin and all these Tea Party attack artists in this country. I think there’s an element of racism every time people claim the first black president doesn’t love this country.
Perry comes from the radical country club that loves to remind white America President Obama is other, not like you.
Perry also wants you to know that he’s pro-business.
That black cloud Perry is talking about is President Barack Obama.
However, NewsBusters’ Noel Sheppard points out that if you pay close attention to the video, although the sound ends after Perry says, “that big black cloud that hangs over America,” he is clearly still speaking.
Sheppard then provides the rest of Perry’s statement, which continued, “that big black cloud that hangs over America, that debt that is so monstrous:”
Perry wasn’t suggesting, implying, or “inferring” that the “big black cloud that hangs over America” is President Obama.
He clearly – both before the phrase “big black cloud” and after – said he was speaking about America’s debt.
Yet Schultz and his staff edited Perry in mid-sentence to make it appear the Texas governor was making a racist remark about Obama.
But this is apparently what constitutes journalism over at MSNBC. If the narrative they seek does not exist in reality, then why not edit one into existence?
And one can only imagine that if Perry’s popularity continues to soar, this is only a precursor to the many edited clips and statements that will be taken out of context to come.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 554 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 504 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 479 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 333 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 330 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 216 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 228 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 141 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Calif. plastic ocean debris bill dies in committee
- No bail for Pa. parents in faith-healing death
- Rare Superman comic found in house insulation
- Grizzlies, Memphis ready to 'believe' vs Spurs
- Schumer urges look at security in Sprint deal
- IMF chief named key witness in French payoff case
- Furlough Friday: Unpaid day off for many in gov't