Sen. Coburn Said What? ‘Good Thing I Can’t Pack a Gun on the Senate Floor’
UPDATED BELOW: COBURN EXPLAINS HIS COMMENTS ON TULSA RADIO THIS MORNING.
Following some bold — and possibly bizarre — statements made to constituents during a swing through NE Oklahoma on Tuesday, Senator Tom Coburn’s office is probably going to be answering a lot of questions today. That’s because he said everything from accusing the president of benefiting from “programs” because he is black, to making a comment about packing a gun on the Senate floor.
The Tulsa World covered all four appearances by Senator Coburn and provides us with some of the statements.
The comment garnering the most attention is the Republican Senator’s statement where he discussed guns while talking about the lack of courage in the House and Senate:
“It’s just a good thing I can’t pack a gun on the Senate floor.”
Tulsa World did not elaborate on what he meant.
“We have less than 16 months to fix this. I can promise you that come July you’re going to see some tough, tough stuff in this country.”
Then the senator took on the president. When asked about Obama by one attendee, the Tulsa World reports that Coburn described Obama as “very bright” but with a political philosophy that Coburn believes to be “goofy and wrong.” The Tulsa World story adds a few more curious quotes from Coburn about President Obama:
Obama’s “intent is not to destroy, his intent is to create dependency because it worked so well for him,” he said.
“As an African-American male,” Coburn said, Obama received “tremendous advantage from a lot of these programs.”
Senator Coburn also seems to have an interesting view of the importance of Congress vs the President. He reportedly said: “I don’t think presidents matter that much.”
Coburn is no stranger to unvarnished speech. Following the Debt Ceiling deal, the Senator’s comments and dour outlook on spending reductions were covered here on The Blaze. One might suppose that Senator Coburn’s raw honesty is a by-product of his self-imposed term limits. Earlier this year he announced that he will not be running for a third term in 2016.
The Senator’s public schedule includes two more “Town Hall” appearances today in the Oklahoma City area. If you are interested in attending, visit Coburn’s website for locations and times.
The Senator did speak with radio host Pat Campbell this morning, offering further clarification on his comments.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 497 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 479 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 467 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 383 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 318 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video Read More
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 182 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 313 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 126 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 121 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Weiner gets started stumping in NYC mayoral race
- Obama lifts ban on Guantanamo transfers to Yemen
- Boy Scouts vote on policy toward openly gay boys
- Stocks edge lower as investors reassess Fed fears
- Smooth confirmation hearing for Pritzker
- Mary J. Blige faces $3.4M federal tax lien in NJ
- Pandora posts in-line 1Q loss, upbeat sales
- Swim coach sentenced to 7 years for sex abuse