‘Alarmed and Devastated’: Politician Angry After Kids Allowed to Handle SWAT Weapons
The Santa Rosa Police Department gave a brief introduction to SWAT team firearms, and after some local kids handled the unloaded weapons, a few politicians and activists decided the event went too far.
The kids in question were allowed to touch the weapons with SWAT team supervision at a local police event meant to create dialogue with the surrounding community and to teach basic gun safety to the public.
But community organizer Attila Nagy told Fox News he was concerned the kids might be more inclined to use guns in the future as a result of the basic familiarization effort. Nagy was responsible for the photos you see, which councilwoman Marsha Vas Dupre told her local paper “alarmed and devastated” her.
The Santa Rosa police, for their part, stand behind the event and refuse to give in to some of the hysteria surrounding the gun education effort. Santa Rosa Police Capt. Gary Negri told FoxNews.com that:
“The weapons are rendered safe and are unloaded. We ensure the safety of those weapons…education and gun safety is a component of what we do… we teach kids the difference between a real gun and a Toys R’ Us gun.”
Nagy has said after the event that there was no safety training involved, and that young children were allowed to handle the firearms without any instruction given (though SWAT supervision was apparently watching them at all times). Nagy’s primary complaint seemed to be more how the event was handled than the principle of teaching gun safety.
But Capt. Negri stuck to his guns, so to speak, and still believes the event served a purpose, saying that:
“Gun safety is a part of the discussions we have with the kids. These kids, what do they learn about guns from video games, movies and TV? A lot of the questions we get from kids are way off base… so it’s helpful to have some realistic dialogue.”
It appears a majority of the folks involved in the the Santa Clara outreach event believe in firearms safety and police outreach, but some questions have remained:
Would you let a young child handle an unloaded weapon even with trained supervision watching?
And at what age should a youngster first be taught proper firearms safety?
Over to you, Blaze readers…
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 527 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 466 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 453 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 338 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 324 Comments
- Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Terrorism, London Machete Attack: ‘A Hand-Maiden of Islamic Terrorism’ Read More
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 272 Comments
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- 5 dead in Lebanon clash of Assad foes, backers
- AP Interview: Rogge praises wrestling's changes
- Restaurant torched in 4th night of Sweden riots
- Man shot by FBI had ties to Boston bombing suspect
- Ralph Lauren's 4Q profit rises 35 pct
- Father of man shot in Boston probe shares regrets
- Russian court denies Pussy Riot's Alekhina parole
- Britain: Soldier slaying suspects had been probed