Football Brawl: Coach-Led Mob Attacks FL Referee During Youth Game
A youth football game turned into a massive brawl in Sarasota, Fla. Saturday afternoon, after a referee’s call apparently prompted an upset coach and several others to charge him.
It happened just before halftime on a local high school field. Video of the melee shows players, coaches and others quickly massing onto the field, pushing, throwing punches and piling onto one another. One woman is heard screaming, “Oh my God!” over the bedlam, and a man shouts through the public address system for everyone to get back:
The players on the teams were 13- and 14- years old.
In the video, 41-year-old referee Jayme Ream is seen fighting with a member of the coaching staff. As the coach falls to his knees, another man who appears to be another coach is seen grabbing the referee and pulling him away. At that point, a third member of the staff confronts Ream, and he tries to run away, until a player runs at him and knocks him off his feet. Mayhem ensues, with punches and kicks visible in the video.
He was taken to a local hospital after the incident and is doing well, the Tampa Tribune reported.
“It’s absolutely disgusting. I have never seen anything like that. The coach should be disqualified from coaching altogether. The team should be suspended for the whole year. It’s not giving sportsmanship anything,” Greg Fabijanczuk, a football dad, told Fox Tampa Bay.
Debbie Ismail, a parent, told the Tribune she was on the sideline at the time of the brawl.
“It was unbelievable,” Ismail said. “Very bad, poor sportsmanship. It was horrifying.”
Mike Cody, the coach for the other team and who did not attack the referee, spoke to his team a few days after the incident.
“There was no excuse for it,” Cody told his team. “One of the most disgraceful things I have ever seen in my 24 years of working with children.”
A spokesman for the Sarasota County School District said while the teams will still be able to practice on school fields, they will not be permitted to hold games.
The Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office said it is investigating the incident. No charges have yet been filed.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,037 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 437 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 313 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 252 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 159 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 227 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 112 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 101 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 134 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Sony mulls hedge fund's entertainment sale idea
- Afghan students protest women's rights decree
- Oil below $96 before crude stocks report, Fed
- Bank of England remains divided on stimulus
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival
- 7 Egyptian security men kidnapped in Sinai freed
- Monroe's photos for Prague exhibition stolen
- World stocks mixed ahead of Fed chief testimony