Sarah Palin Slams Obama at Iowa Tea Party Rally, Doesn’t Announce 2012 Ambitions
Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin was again met with chants of “Run, Sarah, run!” at a Tea Party rally in Iowa Saturday, but she made no formal announcement regarding her 2012 presidential ambitions.
Palin did have harsh words for President Barack Obama and the direction she said the country has taken in his first term in office, including America’s transformation “from a nation of hope to one of anxiety.”
“Is this what you call winning the future? I call it losing the country!” she said. “Candidate Obama didn’t have a record while he was running for office, but President Obama sure does and that’s why we’re here today,” Palin said.
She said “America is hurting” and at “a tipping point” due to “failed policies and incompetent leadership.”
“Barack Obama is adrift with no plan,” Palin said. “That hopey, changey stuff didn’t create one job in August, did it?”
Fueling additional speculation about whether she’ll join the Republican field, Palin took a few swipes at the current crop of candidates, specifically Texas Gov. Rick Perry, with a thinly-veiled comment about “GOP candidates [who] raise mammoth amounts of cash” but “we can’t afford more trillion-dollar thank you notes to campaign backers.”
She also set out a few ideas of her own of ways to get the country back on track, including eliminating all federal corporate income taxes, closing loopholes in the tax code, repealing the health care law and tapping America’s own natural resources for domestic energy production.
Palin’s speech marked the third-year anniversary since she was introduced to the country as Sen. John McCain’s 2008 running mate.
Taking a dig at McCain, she recalled his use of the term “hobbits” to describe members of the Tea Party during the debt ceiling debate.
“Hobbits…couldn’t understand that one!” Palin said to cheers. She also said if the Tea Party’s cuts-only approach had been followed, the U.S. would not have been “humiliated” by Standard and Poor’s credit downgrade.
Echoing some of the backlash she received during her time on the campaign trail, she cautioned the Tea Party: “You will be demonized. They’ll mock you, they’ll make things up, they’ll tell you to go to hell.”
“We’ll bite our tongue, we’ll keep it classy,” she continued. “We don’t have to say that because when we have time-tested truth and logic on our side, we win.”
You can watch the entire speech below, via Mediaite:
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 490 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 455 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 441 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 334 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 321 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ Read More
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 158 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 114 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- AP source: FIFA task force seeks 5-game racism ban
- Kenya's mental hospital drugs, confines patients
- 18 hurt in shuttle bus crash near Atlanta airport
- UN chief challenges African leaders over Congo
- Madrid's Catholic Church says it needs exorcists
- Fire official: 18 injured in crash between shuttle bus, tractor-trailer near Atlanta airport
- Obama: Sexual assault threatens trust in military
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load