Does Ron Paul Want to Pull Plug on A/C for Troops in Afghanistan?
Republican presidential hopeful Ron Paul wants to bring U.S. armed forces home from Iraq and Afghanistan, and one way to achieve that goal might be to pull the plug on their air conditioning. In a statement made during Wednesday’s GOP debate, Paul lamented the “$20 billion” spent pumping AC into tents around Afghanistan and Iraq where American military personnel are stationed.
Paul, who declared that the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) is broke, offered his idea for addressing the agency’s funding concerns. Paul suggested that the $20 billion spent on troops’ AC should be brought home, where he would then “take ten [billion] off the debt and put ten [billion] into FEMA” or another program like child health care.
“But I tell you if we took AC out of the green zone, our troops would come home and that would make me happy,” Paul declared.
But if our service men and women could not be brought home and instead were to remain in Iraq and Afghanistan, would Paul really want them to go without air conditioning in the sweltering desert?
Listen to Paul’s comments and share your thoughts below:
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 535 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 491 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 474 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 327 Comments
- ‘War in London Tonight’: Rioters Clash With Police Over ‘Cleaver’ Terror Attack (Plus: Read About Hero Mother Who Reportedly Confronted Killers) 294 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 114 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 172 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 129 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- IMF chief named key witness in French payoff case
- Obama: Sexual assault threatens trust in military
- Oklahoma gets far more than its share of disasters
- Cannes: Dern a leading man again in 'Nebraska'
- Yankees' Teixeira to play in minors on Wednesday
- Budget cuts mean unpaid day off for many in gov't
- Hezbollah: EU making big mistake
- Toronto mayor Rob Ford says he does not smoke crack cocaine