Only in San Francisco: City Proposal Would Force Nudists to Cover Up When Sitting Down
San Francisco public nudists take note — and cover: A proposal from the city’s board of supervisors could place some new restrictions on the right to bare all.
The legislation, proposed by Supervisor Scott Weiner, would require nudists to place a towel or similar barrier underneath their bottoms when taking a seat in public, and to cover up when inside a restaurant.
Weiner told the San Francisco Chronicle the issue is one of health and sanitation, not about public nudity itself, which is legal in San Francisco.
“What this does do,” he said, “is require that people show some basic courtesy and decency toward their fellow citizens when they are naked.”
Weiner said the idea for the ordinance, which is expected to pass, came after an increased number of constituent complaints about unsanitary behavior in areas where public nudity is popular.
“One would hope we wouldn’t need to legislate this, but people aren’t doing it,” he said.
According to the Chronicle, despite an uptick in complaints, law enforcement has been almost nonexistent on the issue.
A complainant, he said, must make a citizen’s arrest, allowing an officer to charge someone for being a public nuisance. But that’s rarely done. Just walking around naked in San Francisco isn’t against the law, unless the person is aroused. Then the conduct can be considered lewd, which is illegal.
Until Wiener, the city’s elected leaders have largely stayed out of the debate over public nudity, not wanting to run counter to San Francisco’s storied reputation as an anything-goes culture where individual rights and freedom of expression are embraced. But some who live and work in the area say they are fed up with the display of rumps and genitals for all to see.
Under Weiner’s proposal, a first time offense would result in a $100 fine, a second offense would cost $200, and a third offense would elevate the crime from an infraction to a misdemeanor and lead to a $1,000 fine and up to a year in jail.
Weiner said his office has not yet received any complaints from local nudist groups about the proposal.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 466 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 441 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 332 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 326 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 263 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 155 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 201 Comments
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 139 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 106 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 145 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- FBI: Man fatally shot in Boston bombing probe
- EU leaders discuss fight against tax evasion
- UK, Denmark eye visas for Afghan interpreters
- Oklahoma tornado damage could top $2 billion
- Conn. rail service returns to normal
- Afghanistan: Suicide bomb kills anti-Taliban elder
- US test-launches intercontinental missile
- Iran's Ahmadinejad denounces election decision