Herman Cain Sings ‘God Bless America’ in 9/11 Video
Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain released a 9/11 tribute video Friday in which he sings “God Bless America” while footage of the burning Twin Towers and other Sept. 11 images play on the screen.
The two-minute video, complete with news report narration and the sounds of people screaming amid the chaos, ends with a close-up of Cain’s face and the words “Herman Cain — President 2012.”
According to a Cain spokesperson, the candidate recorded the song in one take.
In the hours since the video’s release, it has prompted some strong visceral reactions: Salon’s Alex Pareene gave it a scathing review, calling it “incredibly tasteless” and a “monstrosity,” while others took to social networking sites to say it moved them.
Over at Mediaite, columnist Philip Bump called it “either the worst video commemorating anything ever, or it’s a perfectly fine expression of a man’s feelings about an American tragedy.” Bump suggested this test:
A good way to figure out which is to try and remember how you feel about Herman Cain. If you like him a lot, it’s the latter. I’m indifferent towards him, so it’s the former. A fun thought experiment: what if this were President Obama singing? (Yes, that’s Cain singing.) Would that change your mind?
Cain’s video is just the second musical 9/11 tribute from a public figure to be released this week. As The Blaze previously reported, MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough has a new country song about the attacks and America’s wars, titled “Reason to Believe.”
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 480 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 425 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 387 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 307 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 266 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 114 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 113 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 217 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 203 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 114 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More