MSNBC Host: GOP Candidates Want to Go Back to a Time When ‘Slavery Was Cool’
The racism charges keep coming at the Republicans.
The same day actor Morgan Freeman said the Tea Party was “racist” in its attempts to get President Barack Obama out of office, an MSNBC anchor said the GOP presidential candidates would like to go back to a time when women couldn’t vote and “slavery was cool.”
Thomas Roberts’ comments came in response to former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum’s answer during Thursday’s presidential debate about gay service members in the military. Santorum said the repeal of “don’t ask, don’t tell” amounted to “social experimentation” and, if elected, he would re-instate a similar policy.
“I get out of all of these things that many of these candidates would rather take legislation to build a time machine and go back in time to where, uh, we had, you know, no women voting, slavery was cool. I mean, it’s just kind of ridiculous,” Roberts told fellow MSNBC host Chris Hayes.
Hayes nodded slightly and murmured in agreement before adding, “I also thought was interesting about the response, he seemed to imply there is no sex in the armed forces. Basically saying, this is — everybody should be — ”
“Nothing happens on shore leave,” Roberts cut in.
“Nothing happens in the armed forces. And it was like, really? Have you talked to to any members who served?” Hayes said.
Roberts, who is openly gay, began the segment talking about the booing that was heard from the debate crowd after a gay service member asked the video question that Santorum was responding to. Roberts criticized the candidates for not denouncing the boos right when they occurred; Santorum later said he didn’t hear them from the stage.
This isn’t the first outrageous statement Roberts has uttered in the course of his duties at MSNBC. In July, he told a guest that Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann would like to “extinguish” gay people if she could.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,026 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 461 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 432 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 307 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 247 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 121 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 221 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 131 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- State media shows NKorea has new military chief
- Paille's goal puts Bruins on verge of East finals
- Aretha Franklin taking June off, postponing shows
- State media dispatch shows North Korea has named hardline general as new military chief
- Portland, Ore., rejecting water fluoridation
- North Korean leader sends 'special envoy' to China
- 10 Things to Know for Wednesday
- Singer Kellie Pickler named new 'Dancing' champ