Obama Bashes GOP Over Booing of Gay Soldier’s Question
President Barack Obama slammed the GOP presidential candidates hoping to unseat him for not speaking out when a gay soldier’s question was booed during the last Republican debate in September.
“We don’t believe in a small America,” Obama told the Human Rights Campaign, a prominent gay rights group, in a speech Saturday. “We don’t believe in the kind of smallness that says it’s okay for a stage full of political leaders — one of whom could end up being the president of the United States — being silent when an American soldier is booed.”
“You want to be commander in chief?” Obama said to cheers. “You can start by standing up for the men and women who wear the uniform of the United States, even when it’s not politically convenient.”
Former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum, to whom the question about reinstating “don’t ask, don’t tell” was directed, later said he didn’t hear the booing from the stage and condemned it the following day.
Saturday’s comments were the first time Obama openly criticized the Republican field over the incident, though he briefly referred to it earlier in the week during a speech at a fundraiser in California.
“You’ve got audiences cheering at the prospect of somebody dying because they don’t have health care and booing a service member in Iraq because they’re gay,” Obama said. “That’s not reflective of who we are.”
During an appearance last week on “The View,” Vice President Joe Biden said he had a “visceral response” hearing the audience’s reaction.
“Look, this kid risked his life, this kid was there for a year — and I quite frankly, I thought it was reprehensible,” he said, visibly welling up.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,037 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 437 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 313 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 254 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 164 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 227 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 113 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 103 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 135 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Sony mulls hedge fund's entertainment sale idea
- Afghan students protest women's rights decree
- Oil below $96 before crude stocks report, Fed
- Bank of England remains divided on stimulus
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival
- 7 Egyptian security men kidnapped in Sinai freed
- Monroe's photos for Prague exhibition stolen
- World stocks mixed ahead of Fed chief testimony