Georgia Town Raises Nearly $4,000 Off of Saggy Pants Fines
Authorities in Albany, Ga. may have found a solution to the national economic crisis.
The answer? Fine people with laughably bad fashion sense that borderlines on “indecent exposure.”
On Nov. 23 of last year, the city of Albany instituted a ban on anyone wearing pants (or skirts) more than three inches below the hips.
The first saggy-pants ordinance violator less than nine months ago started a cash flow to the city, reports the Albany Herald
Under the ordinance “the municipal court shall have the same authority as the superior court to enforce obedience to its orders, judgments and sentences.”
“The Municipal Court advises that 187 citations have been issued and fines collected of $3,916.49,” since the ordinance went into effect Nov. 23 says City Attorney Nathan Davis.
First-time offenders must pay a $25 fine. On subsequent offenses, the fine can run as high as $200.
Considering that the Albany Police Department is averaging more than 20 citations a month for the indecent exposure saggy pants ordinance, it is possible the rest of the year could add another $1,500 to the city’s general fund pot, reports the Herald.
Although the ordinance prohibits arrest or imprisonment for violations, it can impose 40 hours of community service to be completed in lieu of fines.
The inhabitants of Albany are not only spared the uninvited parade of drawers, but they will also have clean roads.
Doesn’t sound like a bad deal.
But wait! There’s more!
Albany is not alone among the cities that want to do away with the pants-around-the-ankle look. It has been reported that other cities in Georgia including Dublin, Hawkinsville, Plains, and Rome have similar ordinances or are considering them.
Furthermore, other states such as Florida, Virginia and Louisiana also have cities with the ban or are considering a ban, according to the website USATODAY.com.
If this trend were to catch on, then towns and cities across the nation could generate the revenue they need to operate and at the same time instruct fashion-challenged citizens on the benefits of wearing a belt.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 557 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 507 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 482 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 335 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 333 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 230 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 231 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 141 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- NYC lawsuit alleging Favre sent racy texts settled
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees tragedy behind him
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81
- Report: Yahoo, pay-TV operators among Hulu bidders
- Principal recounts storm hitting Oklahoma school
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- McIlroy, Donald miss cut at BMW PGA Championship
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US