‘Occupy L.A.’ Protesters Arrested — After Trying to Cash $673 BILLION Check
Payday? Not quite. Ten demonstrators were arrested in downtown Los Angeles on Thursday after the group went into a Bank of America branch and tried to cash a check — for $673 billion.
The protesters — part of the “Occupy L.A.” and “Refund California” movements — tried to cash an over-sized check made out to the “people of California,” LAPD Lt. Paul Vernon said, according to local station KTLA.
The protesters — six men and four women — were arrested after they sat down and refused to leave the bank, police said.
Demonstrators also covered Bank of America ATMs with yellow caution tape, KTLA reported.
According to the Los Angeles Times, several hundred people took over a nearby intersection earlier in the day, prompting police to respond in riot gear.
“Occupy L.A.” protesters have been camped out in front of Los Angeles City Hall for the past week.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,036 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 436 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 312 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 252 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 151 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 224 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 106 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 132 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Sharks hang on to beat Kings 2-1 and tie series
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor
- Bruins rally, push Rangers to brink of elimination
- Spurs can't ease up despite 2-0 lead on Grizzlies
- Restaurant learns online reviews can make or break
- Gov't dysfunction may be baked into the system
- Bay Bowl: San Francisco to host 50th Super Bowl
- Immigration bill heads to full Senate