Harry Belafonte: Herman Cain Is ‘A Bad Apple’ Who ‘Knows Very Little’ About Race in America
Over the past week, GOP presidential contender Herman Cain has faced increasing scrutiny and ridicule from the left.
Many of the attacks he has received have come as a direct result of recent comments he has made about race and equality in America. Cain, an African American, has repeatedly stated that he doesn’t believe that race is a major factor in holding people back any longer.
We’ve already heard some sharp responses from Al Sharpton, who recently debated the authenticity of Cain’s blackness. And then there was commentary from MSNBC hosts Lawrence O’Donnell and Martin Bashir. As the Blaze reported, O’Donnell accused Cain of “sitting on those sidelines” during the civil rights movement. Bashir very similarly accused him of not doing his part to fight racism.
Now, Harry Belafonte is adding his voice to the choir of liberals who are discontented with Cain’s opinions on race on race. In July, Belafonte, who has become known for making political slams in the recent past, said that Barack Obama lacks moral courage and vision. Last year, he also publicly slammed the Tea Party.
In his most recent political comments, which were made on CNN’s “The Joy Behar Show,” Belafonte took on Cain’s claims that racism doesn’t hold African Americans back “in a big way” anymore. Here were Belafonte’s very harsh words about the presidential contender:
“Well, you know, it’s very hard to comment on somebody who is so denied intelligence and certainly someone who is as denied a view of history such as he reveals. He knows very little.
Because he happened to have had good fortune, because he happened to have had a moment when he broke through – the moment someone blinked – does not make him the authority on the plight of people of color.”
Of course, Belafonte couldn’t resist taking some jabs at the wider Republican and Tea Parties:
“The Republican party, the tea party, all those forces to the extreme right have consistently tried to come up with representations for what they call black, what they call the real Negroes [Belafonte then referred to Secretaries of State Condoleezza Rice and Colin Powell to provide examples].
They’re heroes for some people. But for a lot of us, they’re not. Herman Cain is just the latest incarnation of what is totally false for the needs of our community and the needs of our nation. I think he’s a bad apple. And people should look at his hole card. He’s not what he says he is.”
Watch his comments below:
It seems the hits just keep on coming, but Cain doesn’t seem phased. He addressed these comments, among others, with Sean Hannity on Monday evening:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 494 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 458 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 442 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 324 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 322 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 245 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 146 Comments
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Police: Car bomb kills 12 in southwest Pakistan
- Asia stocks slide as China factory output slips
- Survey shows China manufacturing contracting
- Teen birth rates decline in most US states
- Nearly all US states see hefty drop in teen births
- Penguins rout Senators 7-3, take 3-1 series lead
- Urban renewal? Big US cities showing strong growth
- Lawyer: Malaysian accused of rape married the girl