Don’t Listen to This Song While Driving; You’ll Fall Asleep
What’s more relaxing: a walk, a cup of tea or music? Well, if you’re listening to “Weightless” by the Manchester band Marconi Union – deemed ‘the most relaxing song ever’ in a recent study — it’s not only more relaxing than the former two de-stressors, but it even beats out a massage.
The Daily Mail has more:
The eight-minute track is so effective at inducing sleep, motorists have now been warned they should not listen to it whilst driving.
The band worked with sound therapists to get advice on how to make the most effective use of harmonies, rhythms and bass lines. The result on listeners is a slowing of the heart rate, reduced blood pressure and lower levels of the stress hormone cortisol.
The Daily Mail goes on to report that a study of 40 women, conducted by a Radox Spa, challenged women with timed puzzles and measured their stress level when listening to different songs. “Weightless” weighed in at 11 percent more relaxing than its competition:
It induced a 65 percent reduction in overall anxiety and brought them to a level 35 percent lower than their usual resting rates.
Watch the song’s creator’s explain the project:
The world’s most relaxing song didn’t happen by accident though, the creators worked with professionals to perfect and find the most relaxing sounds. Daily Mail reports Lyz Cooper, founder of the British Academy of Sound Therapy, as saying the song has a consistent rhythm at 60 beats per minute that slows to 50 as the song goes on, causing your heart rate and blood pressure to do the same. The song lasts for 8 minutes, because as Cooper said, it takes longer than 5 minutes for the heart to adjust. And, it contains no repetition to prevent your brain from “trying to predict what is coming next.”
Listen to the song here.
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 435 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 411 Comments
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 343 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 319 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 266 Comments
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 103 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 128 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 119 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 230 Comments
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 243 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 114 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Arias jury deadlocks but must keep deliberating
- ND ad agency sues creators of Cartoon Network show
- Minn. teen whose farewell song became web hit dies
- HP's 2Q offers hope even as revenue slump deepens
- Boy Scout leaders to vote on lifting gay ban
- 3rd grader who loved to sing among tornado victims
- WikiLeaks case file fight moves to federal court
- Tesla uses stock, note sale to repay government