Should You Be Allowed To Vote/Drive In America If You Can’t Speak/Read English?
Just over a year from now America will cast ballots in the 2012 election. The Presidency is up for grabs, as is the entire House of Representatives, and a third of the Senate. Based on predictions from the pundits, voter turnout is expected to be strong. And, as we get closer to the Nov. 6, 2012, you can expect the contentious debate about standardizing the language of the ballots to resurface.
Some have suggested that printing the ballots in English-only is a great idea, but what about the tens of millions of people for whom English is a second language? Should the non-English speaking public be expected to learn the un-official language of the land in order to vote?
Or, is it appropriate for all eligible and registered voters to expect that the government will provide election support in whatever language they desire?
And what about the questions about drivers licenses and English?
As it concerns the privilege of driving a car in America, the question of English proficiency is also popping up again. Currently, nine states offer motor vehicle certification in English only (Arizona, Hawaii, Kansas, Maine, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Utah, & Wyoming…) That number is up from just five in 2005.
Of the 41 multi-lingual, driving-test states, most offer just English and Spanish, however some offer the test in a host of languages. The New York DMV website lists 13 languages available in printed forms. In California, you can take the written license test in more than 30 different languages.
Amharic, Arabic, Armenian, Cambodian, Chinese, English, Farsi, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hmong, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Laotian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Rumanian, Russian, Samoan, Serbo-Croatian, Spanish, Tagalog, Thai, Tongan, Turkish, Vietnamese.
A curious fact – California offers printed tests in more than 32 languages, and yet all of the street signs are printed in only one language – English.
Where do you stand on the questions about requiring proficiency in English in order to vote and drive?
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 505 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 463 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 461 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 323 Comments
- ‘War in London Tonight’: Rioters Clash With Police Over ‘Cleaver’ Terror Attack (Plus: Read About Hero Mother Who Reportedly Confronted Killers) 293 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 112 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 210 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? 141 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Rare Superman comic found in house insulation
- Barrick fined $16m for Pascua-Lama violations
- Suspect in killing of officer found dead in cell
- Jersey shore eyes record-setting summer post Sandy
- 16 hurt in shuttle bus crash near Atlanta airport
- Obama's drone speech could improve Pakistan ties
- Iran presidential candidate vows to resist West
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted, 2 men arrested