’60 Minutes’ Reporter Kroft Gets Tough With Pelosi During Press Conference
Nancy Pelosi refused to sit down with “60 Minutes” for an upcoming story on her personal stock portfolio while considering legislation that related to those investments. But reporter Steve Kroft wouldn’t take no for an answer. He decided, then, to infiltrate a regular-scheduled press briefing on Capitol Hill and ask his questions there, in front of everyone.
Shortly beforehand, Kroft had asked Pelosi a much more specific question during her news conference: Why had she and her husband participated in March 2008 in “a very large” initial public offering “from Visa at a time when there was major legislation affecting credit card companies making its way through the House?”
Visa’s IPO was one of the largest, with more than 400 million shares offered. Investors laid out more than $17 billion for the stock at the time.
Pelosi responded by pointing to the various protections for credit cardholders that Congress has passed since the financial crisis in the past few years, particularly New York Democratic Rep. Carolyn Maloney’s Credit Cardholders’ Bill of Rights, which was so unpopular with the credit card industry that “they spent $3 million trying to defeat her last time.”
“First of all, what you’re contending is not true,” Pelosi said. “Second of all, we are very proud of our record of what happened.”
Video of the incident went viral on Thursday:
Pelosi supporters will be happy to know that she wasn’t Kroft’s only target. He also quizzed current Speaker John Boehner. Again from Politico:
“I have not made any decisions on day-to-day trading activities of my account and haven’t for years. I do not do it, haven’t done it and wouldn’t do it,” Boehner said, in response to Kroft’s question about his trading health care stocks during consideration of legislation dealing with the industry.
When Kroft asked whether House members should be able to trade stocks when Washington is considering legislation that could affect such stocks, Boehner replied, “I think there are plenty of rules of the House and certainly rules from the SEC that members should follow and I believe do follow.”
Pelosi’s office told Politico that “60 Minutes” told them its upcoming report is based on a book by conservative writer Peter Schweizer, who serves as a fellow at the Hoover Institution. His previous books include, “Do as I Say (Not as I Do): Profiles in Liberal Hypocrisy” and “Architects of Ruin: How Big Government Liberals Wrecked the Global Economy – and How They Will Do It Again if No One Stops Them.”
“60 Minutes” declined to comment, as it refrains from doing so regarding current reporting.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 593 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 521 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 498 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 395 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 338 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 332 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 289 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 152 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- 16 children, 1 teacher dead in Pakistan bus fire
- Actor Tyler Perry donates $100K to Ohio schools
- Chile's Indians take on world's largest gold miner
- Syria regime unleashes artillery barrage on Qusair
- Kerry makes sub-Saharan Africa visit
- Kuchar leads Colonial without finishing 2nd round
- Penguins oust Sens in five, reach Eastern finals
- Pacers steal Game 2 away from Heat in Miami, 97-93