Florida Politician Attempts to Block Islamic Animal Slaughter Ceremony
A Florida city commissioner is cracking down on the Islamic slaughter of lambs and goats. Sunrise Commissioner Sheila Alu has attempted to block a Muslim religious ceremony that involves the ritualistic killing of these animals this upcoming Sunday.
Muslims from various mosques in the area had planned to come together at a farm to participate in the religious slaughter. The festival, called Eid ul-Adha, or the “Festival of Sacrifice,” honors Abraham’s willingness to sacrifice his son (although, as the story goes, God ended up providing a lamb for sacrifice instead).
In addition to commemorating this event, the day also marks the end of the pilgrimage to Mecca that Muslims are encouraged to make during their lifetime. However, the ritualistic murder of animals was too much for Alu to bear.
On Wednesday, she discussed her efforts to squash the event. ”Yes, I was trying to stop it,” she said. “It’s shut down. I’m trying to protect innocent animals. This is not an appropriate setting for the slaughtering of animals in an open field in a city that’s as populated as Sunrise. Usually these religious ceremonies take place in a rural area.”
While some may assume that her actions are rooted in anti-Islamic sentiment, she explains, ”I have no ill will toward the Muslim faith. I’m just an animal lover.” She continues:
“I don’t want to interfere with anyone’s religious beliefs, but if you want to slaughter animals it should be done in a slaughterhouse. They stab them in the throat. It’s horrible.”
Nezar Hamze, the executive director of the South Florida Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), is less than content with her decision. “This is very upsetting,” he said. “I’m very disappointed in that. We asked for permission and went through the proper channels and now it’s off because a commissioner has a problem with it.”
Hamze claims that the sacrifices are done according to both state and Islamic law. He characterizes the practice as “humane” and claims that the animals’ throats are slit very quickly and that they do not suffer during the process.
After she learned that she couldn’t legally prevent the ceremony, Alu decided to call someone who works for the farm’s owners. She claims the man told her that the owners weren’t aware of the event that was going to take place and that permission had improperly been given.
Despite Alu’s efforts to derail the slaughter, Hamze claims that a new, undisclosed venue has been found and that it will be proceeding as originally planned. As for his opinion on Alu, whom he has spoken with, he claims that he believe’s she’s simply a big animal lover and that he doesn’t think she has any malice toward the Muslim community.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 530 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 488 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 469 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 326 Comments
- ‘War in London Tonight’: Rioters Clash With Police Over ‘Cleaver’ Terror Attack (Plus: Read About Hero Mother Who Reportedly Confronted Killers) 294 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor Read More
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 142 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 125 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Teixeira expects to play in minors Wednesday
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted, 2 men arrested
- Afghan Taliban attack aid group, 2 guards killed
- Venezuela to create new workers militia
- Soldier's slaying prompts UK security review
- AP Source: Jets RB Goodson to practice Tuesday
- Schumer urges look at security in Sprint deal
- News Corp. OKs poison pill, buyback before split