Ron Paul on Third Party Run: ‘I Don’t Want to Do It’
Texas Rep. Ron Paul again dismissed speculation that he may run for president as a third-party candidate, saying Sunday he simply doesn’t want to.
“I don’t want to do it. That’s a pretty good reason,” the GOP candidate said on Fox News Sunday.
Host Chris Wallace had pressed Paul on whether he might consider an independent bid after Paul said he would be unlikely to support anyone else for the Republican nomination unless they agreed with him on certain issues.
“If they believe in expanding the wars, if they don’t believe in looking at the Federal Reserve, if they don’t believe in real cuts, if they don’t believe in deregulation and a better tax system, it would defy everything I believe in,” Paul said. “I would be reluctant to jump on board and tell all of the supporters that have given me trust and money then all of a sudden say, ‘All we have done is for naught and let’s support anybody at all because even if they disagree with everything we do.’”
“Does that mean you might consider an independent run?” Wallace asked.
“No, it doesn’t mean that at all,” Paul said. “I have no intention of doing that. It doesn’t make any sense to me to even think about that, let alone plan to do that.”
“Because?” Wallace pressed.
“Because I don’t want to do it,” Paul said laughing. “That’s a pretty good reason.”
Among the current crop of GOP candidates, Paul placed fifth with 9 percent in the newest ABC-Washington Post national poll released this week. In Iowa he placed third in the latest Des Moines Register poll last week with 12 percent.
Watch a clip of the interview below, via Mediaite.
- White House: ‘Irrelevant Fact’ Where Obama Was During Benghazi 348 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 271 Comments
- CNN Poll: Obama’s Approval Rating Unchanged Since Scandals Hit 241 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 220 Comments
- Beck and Mercury One Head to Oklahoma to Launch Tornado Relief Effort Read More
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 163 Comments
- Israeli Motorists Shocked When Nazi Flag Seen Flying Near Palestinian Mosque Read More
- Did Christian Prayers at Gov’t Meetings in This NY Town Violate the Constitution? 177 Comments
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- See All the Viral Backlash Abercrombie & Fitch Has Received for Its CEO’s Comments From Years Ago That Resurfaced Again Read More
- Is This the ‘Smoking Gun’ That Ties the IRS Scandal to the White House? 182 Comments
- Monday Morning Market Roundup: Not Off to Such a Great Start Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds Read More
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Woman Who Lost All Limbs to Flesh-Eating Bacteria Gets $200K Bionic Arms Read More
- Why Are These Zoo Keepers Baffled by This Anteater’s Babies? Read More
- Largest Lunar Explosion in NASA History Caught on Video 139 Comments
- Who Has More Viewers…President Obama’s Weekly Address Or The Daily Blazecast?
- Most people don’t think the DOJ was trying to bully the media by secretly taking reporters’ phone records
- Greta Van Susteren says DOJ ‘lucky’ they didn’t hack her emails
- Media Matters has no idea what to do with itself right now
- Caption that photo!: the winner
- In tornado's wake, worried parents seek out kids
- Chinese fishing boat, crew released by North Korea
- Head of embattled G4S security force retires
- Justin Bieber's monkey to become German property
- AP photographer describes destroyed Okla. school
- Former IRS commissioner heads to Hill amid scandal
- Policy, discretion guide media sources probes
- Roadside bomb kills 6 policemen in Afghanistan