NYC Reporter Stays Night at Occupy Wall St: ‘Scary Place’ Where Rape Threat is ‘Very Real’
A female reporter braved the frigid and smelly air to spend the night at Occupy Wall Street over the weekend, but her main fear stemmed from the swirling rumors and accusations of sexual assault at Zuccotti Park.
She spent the night in a women only tent, which has been set up in response to numerous allegations of sexual assault and rape down at Zuccotti Park. Police have confirmed at least two instances of sexual assault there, and at least one arrest has been made as a result.
Giove claimed her discussions with Occupiers indicated there have been “many, many stories of sexual abuse in the park.”
One woman Giove spoke with during her overnight stay claimed that she had been sexually assaulted in early October, but stayed in the park since the incident to help counsel other women who have also been sexually abused.
As for the overall atmosphere, Giove belied the narrative pushed by much of the mainstream media that Occupy is just a forum for political dialogue that is gaining the support of the American people.
To give a more realistic sense of Occupy and its disparate, often nihilistic factions, Giove told the Morning show that Occupy Wall Street in Zuccotti Park is:
“its own country, divided into camps with different kinds of people, some people believe in the cause, others just want to be part of the party.. its totally lawless, [with] open drug use in the park.”
As for outrage from other Occupiers at the cases of sexual assault in their midst, it appears to have left them unfazed. Many of them are just there because it is a “Fun, hip thing to do,” Giove said.
Watch Giove describe her night at the park with WNYW-TV below:
Besides the “threat” of rape, apparently, the Occupiers have also had to be reminded about the need to be good neighbors, respect each other, and even stay sober:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 496 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 477 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 467 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 379 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 317 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video Read More
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 175 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 294 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 124 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 121 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Stocks end lower as investors reassess Fed worries
- NASA head views progress on asteroid lasso mission
- Pandora posts in-line 1Q loss, upbeat sales
- Coded goal: RG3 still aiming for Redskins' opener
- Body of 2nd child found in deadly Minn. landslide
- David Beckham bids au revoir to soccer
- Gap's 1st-quarter profits rises 43 percent
- Committee hits stretch run for NY-NJ Super Bowl