Rep. Joe Walsh Loses Cool at Town Hall: ‘That’s Not the Problem!’
Rep. Joe Walsh (R-IL) is usually a mild-mannered guy with a heavy Midwestern accent. But during a town hall meeting on Sunday, he let his emotions fly while answering constituent questions on the banking industry and government regulation.
The “Cup of joe with Joe Walsh” event at a Gurnee, IL UNO bar and grill seemed to start off cordial enough. Video of the event picks up with a calm Walsh discussing random bills, taking a shot at John McCain, and calming a veteran’s fear about veterans benefits. But about six minutes in, a constituent brings up AT&T wanting to buy T-Mobile, and how it has the potential to be a monopoly. That eventually led to a discussion on government regulation and intervention, and some attendees took shots at big banks being in bed with government. Walsh had about enough of that.
Here’s a transcript (which we have fixed and added to in some places):
WALSH: That’s not the problem! The problem is you’ve got to be consistent. And I dont want government meddling in the marketplace. Yeah, they move from Goldman Sachs to the White House, I understand all of that. But you gotta’ be consistent. And it’s not the private marketplace that created this mess. What created mess was your government, which has demanded for years that everybody be in a home. And we’ve made it easy as possible for people to be in homes. [...] The government sets the rules. Don’t blame banks, and don’t blame the marketplace for the mess we’re in right now! I am tired of hearing that crap! [...]
CONSTITUENT: You don’t have to scream at me.
WALSH: No, you know what, because this pisses me off! Too many people don’t listen. [...] Government screwed this problem up. What do you want? Well you know what you got, you got Dodd-Frank. [...]
WALSH: Quiet for a minute! Quiet for a minute!
CONSTITUENT: Joe, what did I say–
WALSH: Quiet for a minute or I’m going to ask you to leave. You need to listen, or I’m going to ask you to leave.
Walsh even passionately confronted a female constituent during the argument:
You can watch the relevant part below:
The full 50-minute video is available here.
It should be noted that during the exchange Walsh yelled out, “I need more coffee,” and those in attendance chuckled and told the restaurant to bring him decaf, showing the mood was more of a passionate debate than an angry politician making everyone uncomfortable. And Despite the passion, Walsh also seemed to know the people he was talking with, addressing two of them by their first names, and no one ever seemed to be afraid of Walsh’s demeanor. Additionally, the end of the video shows that the people stuck around, and Walsh even shook hands with the female constituent he had argued with earlier.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 518 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 478 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 465 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 324 Comments
- ‘War in London Tonight’: Rioters Clash With Police Over ‘Cleaver’ Terror Attack (Plus: Read About Hero Mother Who Reportedly Confronted Killers) 294 Comments
- There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor Read More
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 120 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 131 Comments
- FDA warns of infections tied to Tennessee pharmacy
- Barrick fined $16m for Pascua-Lama violations
- Kid Rock, Rolling Stones on scalping, summer tours
- Arellano Felix drug cartel figure pleads guilty
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Obama: Sexual assault threatens trust in military
- Iran presidential candidate vows to resist West
- Berlusconi looms large in Rome mayor election