CMA Awards Open By Taking Shot at Hank Williams Jr. Controversy
On his GBTV program Wednesday night, Glenn Beck promised viewers that there would be something worth tuning in for during the 45th annual Country Music Association Awards on ABC. So when the show opened with a bit about the Hank Williams Jr. controversy, I know my jaw hit the floor.
After hosts Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood took the stage, Paisley used his guitar to start playing a song to the tune of Williams’s iconic “Monday Night Football” theme that is no more. Underwood stopped him, saying that he couldn’t sing the song because of what happened with Williams (he was fired for making an analogy that involved Hitler and Obama). Paisley quickly, then, changed the song to a version of Williams’s classic “Family Tradition,” which includes the line “why do you drink?” Underwood added the line “before an interview.”
But as the audience chuckled during the obviously light-hearted bit, Williams himself made an appearance behind the hosts. That led Paisley to go back to the original-themed song, with Williams and Underwood joining in.
You can watch it all unfold below:
Rowdy, indeed. And adding to the intrigue: ESPN, which fired Williams and which the opening was obviously skewering, and ABC, which aired the awards, are both owned by the same parent company, Disney.
By the way, you can watch Williams’s sit-down with Glenn — and his live performance — below:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 501 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 469 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 388 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 379 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 327 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video Read More
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 198 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 139 Comments
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Ago Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 100 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 124 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Fossil area closed after 2 boys die in Minn. park
- Fugitive in LA attempted-murder case held in Colo.
- Belmoktar claims responsibility for Niger attack
- Tornado took town's youngest as it swept through
- Jurors deadlock on Jodi Arias penalty; retrial set
- Swim coach sentenced to 7 years for sex abuse
- 87-year-old woman loses to Trump in civil case
- Sears reports bigger-than-expected 1Q loss