SEIU President Arrested at Occupy Wall Street’s ‘Day of Action’ Protest
The Occupiers, despite small crowds at moments, are claiming that Thursday’s “Day of Action” protest was a major success. While protesters failed to shut down the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) and the New York City transit system, they were successful at blocking traffic and changing the city’s dynamics, as they converged in New York’s busy streets.
Throughout the day, there were more than 200 arrests, complete with sometimes violent clashes between police and Occupiers. As a result, five protesters were charged with felony assault and seven officers and 10 protesters sustained injuries.
Among those notable individuals taken into custody was Mary Kay Henry, the president of the Service Employees International Union (SEIU). Also arrested was city councilman Jumaane D. Williams and George Fresham, president of 1199/S.E.I.U., United Healthcare Workers East. Henry and company were blocking a roadway that leads to the Brooklyn Bridge when authorities detained them.
Below, watch video of the SEIU national president being taken into custody, as she chants along with protesters, “We are the 99 percent!” According to police, Henry, Williams and Fresham will post likely be charged with disorderly conduct:
Earlier this week, Henry made the SEIU’s endorsement of President Barack Obama’s re-election campaign official. Salon has more:
Just weeks after issuing a union-wide endorsement of Occupy Wall Street, the 2.1-million-member Service Employees International Union announced this morning it is also endorsing President Obama for reelection.
In an interview with Salon following a conference call announcing the endorsement, SEIU president Mary Kay Henry stressed the union will not try to enlist occupiers as ground troops for Obama’s reelection — but SEIU also plans to stay involved with the Occupy movement into 2012. SEIU, then under the leadership of Andy Stern, spent millions of dollars helping to elect Obama in 2008.
Henry appeared on MSNBC earlier on Thursday to discuss her union’s 2012 electoral plans. In her interview, she says, “The Republican field has made us very concerned that we need to step out now” to prevent what she believes is a dangerous, GOP agenda.
And she goes on to call the Occupy movement, “an inspiring movement for change”:
Considering her deep involvement in the movement, it’s hard to imagine that she and the SEIU won’t encourage members to join in.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 499 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 460 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 454 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 339 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 323 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ Read More
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 184 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? 122 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted, 2 men arrested
- Obama: Sexual assault threatens trust in military
- Canadian trucking company says it had permits
- Oil falls below $94 on weak outlook for demand
- AP source: FIFA task force seeks 5-game racism ban
- World stocks lower after big sell-off
- Chile blocks world's highest mine project
- Actress Bynes charged in NYC in accused bong toss