Jennifer Lopez’s Car Commercial Being Called a ‘Sham’
If you’ve seen the commercial, you’ve likely associated it with New York City. And in the end, that’s what you’re supposed to do. What commercial? The one where singer Jennifer Lopez is driving down the streets of her native Bronx in a Fiat 500C, talking about how the city “inspires” her. But there’s only one problem: it’s now been discovered that Lopez never made it to New York for the shoot and that her New York City scenes were shot in Los Angeles.
For starters, here’s the commercial:
And now, here’s what the website The Smoking Gun, which outed the commercial on Tuesday, had to say about it:
While Lopez, Fiat, the automotive firm’s PR people, and its Detroit ad agency would have consumers believe that the star deigned to return home to film a low-speed pilgrimage through the gritty streets of her hometown, she actually never set foot in the Bronx during the filming of the Fiat spots.
Instead, the role of “Jenny from the Block” was played by a body double, according to two sources familiar with the commercial production. While the Lopez lookalike was actually behind the wheel in the Bronx, Lopez herself was in Los Angeles, where she was filmed inside a Fiat 500.
The shots of the actress were artfully merged to make it appear that she was tooling around New York City’s poorest borough. Big Block, a Los Angeles digital production studio, was hired to merge live action footage with computer-generated imagery to make it appear as if Lopez was in the Bronx.
Although J Lo’s voiceover never specifically says where she is, the press release for the commercial called “My World” says she is “seen driving a Fiat 500 Cabrio as she travels through the streets of Manhattan where she grew up.” The first word she speaks, “here” coincides with the word “Bronx” spray painted on a wall as seen from a car passing by.
But while “J-Lo” never expressly says in the commercial where she is, and it’s only implied, the press release that accompanied the commercial about a month ago, does:
“Both FIAT commercials featuring Jennifer Lopez were indeed filmed in the Bronx as well as outside locations. As you may know, in today’s world, people are increasingly mobile and their work takes them to a variety of locations. As a result, we took the opportunity to film wherever Ms. Lopez was working at the time to accommodate her schedule. The commercial tells the story of how the simple elements of our upbringing can help explain who we are, where we’re going and serve as a source of inspiration to achieve our goals in life. One does not need to be in a specific location to be inspired or continue to be inspired.” [Emphasis added]
Film purists might be interested to know that Lopez and Fiat aren’t the only ones to pull off a New York City filming ruse. The CBS show “CSI: New York” is actually filmed in Los Angeles, only returning to New York every once in a while to film necessary and exterior shots, according to the fan site Onlacationvacations.com. Also on the list? ABC’s “Castle” and NBC’s “Prime Suspect.”
If you’re looking for a series that is actually filmed where it portrays to take place, try CBS’s new crime drama “Unforgettable.”
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 519 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 479 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 465 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 324 Comments
- ‘War in London Tonight’: Rioters Clash With Police Over ‘Cleaver’ Terror Attack (Plus: Read About Hero Mother Who Reportedly Confronted Killers) 294 Comments
- There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor Read More
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 120 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 131 Comments
- FDA warns of infections tied to Tennessee pharmacy
- Barrick fined $16m for Pascua-Lama violations
- Kid Rock, Rolling Stones on scalping, summer tours
- Arellano Felix drug cartel figure pleads guilty
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Obama: Sexual assault threatens trust in military
- Iran presidential candidate vows to resist West
- Berlusconi looms large in Rome mayor election