Mystery Man Who Left Suitcase Stuffed with Nearly $1 Million at Australian Pizzeria Arrested by Police
A strange man who left a suitcase stuffed with nearly $1 million in cash at an Australian pizzeria was arrested Wednesday by New South Wales police. To make matters all the more bizarre, police delivered the odd patron — allegedly a 49-year-old from Hong Kong who was in Australia in a student visa — to the hospital for an unknown pre-existing medical condition.
The unusual story began on Tuesday, when staff members at the Caffe Marco got the shock of their lives after discovering a suitcase stuffed with approximately $977,000 in cash. The suitcase was left behind by the man, said to be nervous-looking and dressed like a surfer. Staff called police thinking the bag might actually contain a bomb.
The AP reports that detectives are waiting until the man recovers from his mystery affliction before asking him more questions about the cash.
Senior Constable Chris Nash said that if the money legitimately belongs to the man it would be returned but if the cash is proceeds from a crime it will likely be forfeited to the government.
“Our friend in hospital has some questions to answer once he is released,” acting Superintendent Ian Pryde told the Morning Herald. The unlocked suitcase was full of genuine, used Australian currency in various denominations, along with personal items and identification documents, Pryde added.
The man, reportedly dressed in a yellow sleeveless shirt, shorts and sandals, left the bag in Caffe Marco early Tuesday morning. After ordering coffee, and acting nervously according to staff, he abruptly left – without his suitcase. He was spotted and picked up nearby later in the day.
It’s the second time this year Australian cops have found bags stuffed with large amounts of cash, after two men were charged with recklessly dealing with the proceeds of crime when they arrived at a station allegedly carrying two suitcases with millions in cash. But Pryde said the case was still unusual: “I don’t carry that much around with me. Do you? I think most of us are just happy to have $20 in our wallet.”
Reports do not indicate whether or not the pizzeria will receive a reward for turning in the cash, or what the stranger’s ailment might be.
An AP report follows:
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,038 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 437 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 313 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 254 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 165 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 227 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 113 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 103 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 136 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Lowe's 1Q profit rises, chilly spring hurts sales
- US auto factories cutting back on summer downtime
- Chinese premier visits Pakistan, praises ties
- EU leaders discuss fight against tax evasion
- Octogenarians race to be oldest Everest climber
- Iran's Ahmadinejad denounces election decision
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor
- Diplomats: Iran expands nuke technology