Battle Brews After RI Governor Calls the State’s ‘Christmas Tree’ a ‘Holiday Tree’
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (The Blaze/AP) — The battle over holiday versus Christmas trees continues to rage on. First, an epic battle was underway in Wisconsin. Now, Rhode Island is the new epicenter, with the state’s governor deciding that “Christmas” isn’t an inclusive enough title.
On Tuesday, the state’s top leader said that lawmakers upset with his decision to call the blue spruce erected in the Statehouse a “holiday tree” instead of a “Christmas tree” should focus their energy on feeding the poor.
According to Gov. Lincoln Chafee, calling the tree a “holiday tree” instead of a “Christmas tree” is in keeping with Rhode Island’s founding in 1636 by religious dissident Roger Williams as a haven for tolerance, where government and religion were kept separate.
“I would encourage all those engaged in this discussion – whatever their opinion on the matter – to use their energy and enthusiasm to make a positive difference in the lives of their fellow Rhode Islanders,” Chafee said, offering an initiative to feed the needy as a good place to start.
But critics of Chafee’s seasonal semantics said the independent governor is taking political correctness too far – and defying the will of the Legislature.
In January, the House of Representatives passed a symbolic resolution declaring that the tree customarily erected this time of year be referred to “as a ‘Christmas tree’ and not as a ‘holiday tree’ or other non-traditional terms.”
The resolution’s sponsor, Rep. Doreen Costa, said she plans to erect and decorate a tree at her Statehouse office on Dec. 6, the same day Chafee plans to host a tree lighting event. Costa said she’ll be taking up a collection of canned goods.
“Anybody that wants to go see a holiday tree can do so, but I will be decorating a Christmas tree,” Costa, R-North Kingstown, told The Associated Press. “It may only be a little Charlie Brown Christmas tree but at least it will be a Christmas tree.”
Chafee isn’t the first Rhode Island governor to refer to the annual Statehouse tree as a `holiday’ tree. His predecessor, Republican Gov. Donald Carcieri, used both `holiday tree’ and `Christmas tree’ in his correspondence. Other past governors have made no specific reference to Christmas at all with invitations to “holiday celebrations” featuring a “tree lighting.”
The 17-foot Colorado blue spruce at the center of the holiday hullabaloo was donated to the state by Big John Leyden’s Christmas Tree Farm in West Greenwich, R.I. Tree farmer John Leyden said he’s disappointed with Chafee’s yuletide word choice.
“It’s not a holiday tree or even an `X-mas’ tree,” he said. “We’re a Christmas tree farm, that’s what the name is.”
Chafee insists he’s just respecting the state’s history as a place respectful of all religions.
The colony’s hands-off policy toward religion quickly attracted sects that had been persecuted elsewhere. Rhode Island boasts both the nation’s first Baptist church and the oldest surviving Jewish synagogue.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 465 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 440 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 323 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 315 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 261 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 144 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 199 Comments
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 138 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 106 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 144 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Oklahoma tornado damage could top $2 billion
- Hosseini discusses new novel at NYC reading
- EU bid to label Hezbollah wing terror group
- Stocks surge as Bernanke retains dovish ton
- Closings arguments begin at Donald Trump trial
- Lowe's 1Q profit rises, but results miss Street
- Oklahoma Insurance Department says preliminary tornado damage estimate could top $2 billion
- Malawi finds buyer for presidential jet