Are You Ready for Mega-Pastor Joel Osteen’s New Primetime ‘Reality’ Show?
More than 10 million viewers tune in each week to mega-Pastor Joel Osteen’s television broadcast. And now, even more people may watching the faith leader, as a primetime television series is in the works.
On Tuesday, TMZ reported that Osteen, the pastor of Lakewood Church in Houston Texas, will be teaming up with “Survivor” producer Mark Burnett for a prime-time network television show in 2012. According to the Houston Chronicle, a spokesperson for the church has confirmed that a program is currently in development.
Burnett told TMZ that the show will center upon ordinary people giving up several days or longer to go on a “mission” with the faith leader. While this may conjure images of Osteen and company traveling abroad to partake in missionary activities, the trips will apparently be confined to the United States.
According to Don Iloff, a spokesperson for Lakewood and the pastor’s brother-in-law, “just about every studio in Hollywood” has pitched ideas to the Osteens, but, to date, they have declined. But Burnett and his wife, Roma Downey, have apparently become friends with the Osteen family.
Joel and his wife Victoria have been to the producer’s home and vice-versa. And the Burnetts, who are also Christians, have also visited Lakewood. As a result, the family likely trusts the famed producer to portray Osteen and his ministry in a palatable light.
At the moment the show has no name and has no official network secured, as it is in its early-planning states. The Osteens, as the Chronicle reports, are hoping that they will be able to create “uplifting, positive programming” that will be family-friendly.
Considering Burnett’s credentials and Osteen’s popularity, there should be little issue finding a home for the show.
(H/T: Urban Christian Church)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 551 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 503 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 477 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 333 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 324 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 203 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 216 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 139 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Schumer urges look at security in Sprint deal
- IMF chief named key witness in French payoff case
- Furlough Friday: Unpaid day off for many in gov't
- Obama OKs honor for Birmingham bombing victims
- Stocks barely budge; market ends week with loss
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Suspect in killing of officer found dead in cell
- Principal recounts storm hitting Okla. school