Is Your Butt Calling 9-1-1? In Evanston, IL They Are
There are approximately 300 million cell phone users in America, and by some estimates 900 BILLION cell phone calls are made each year.
However, not all of these calls are intentional.
When you accidentally fumble inside your pocket or purse, or sit down and “butt dial” your cell phone, you typically just re-dial the last number. However, many of these calls are going to 9-1-1, and that’s a problem.
Calling 9-1-1 and just hanging up is confusing to the operators. They don’t know if you were in a real emergency and suddenly were forced to hang up or were in danger. Emergency services personnel ask that people who make an accidental call to please stay on the line and let the operator know.
One suburban Chicago town estimates that 20% of the calls made to their 9-1-1 emergency operators is an accident. “Purse dialing” or “butt dialing” is an unintended consequence of the massive growth of the cell phone business.
Evanston, Illinois has a population of 75,000, and CBS 2 reports that each month as many as 500 unintentional calls to 9-1-1 are made:
Considering that the small town of Evanston gets 17 accidental calls per day and that is putting a strain on their emergency services system, the national implications are huge.
Extrapolate Evanston’s experience to a national level. If we are making 900 billion phone calls and 20% of those call could be accidental, that means as many as 180 billion false 9-1-1 calls could be happening every year.
False 9-1-1 calls waste time and could potentially cost many lives as operators are trying to figure out if a butt-dial call is real while people actually needing help are waiting to speak to someone.
The solution is simple. Get a cover
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 474 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 449 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 426 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 332 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 317 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ Read More
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 122 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 113 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets That Can Turn You Into a Detective Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- 3 al-Qaida members, 2 soldiers dead in Yemen clash
- Some damage reported from 5.7 quake in N. Calif.
- Obama: Sexual assault threatens trust in military
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted, 2 men arrested
- Hurricane center: Beware of the storm surge
- Kid Rock, Rolling Stones on scalping, summer tours
- News Corp. board approves split, stock buyback