Flashback: Have You Seen the Awkward Mitt Romney Interview From 1994?
When I first clicked on this video, I thought for sure that it couldn’t really be as awkward as some were saying. I was wrong. Your toes will curl.*
The video features a younger Mitt Romney being interviewed by a young man during Romney’s failed 1994 senate campaign. It’s old for sure, but it’s going viral again (and it’s easy to see why).
To be sure, the awkwardness is not from Romney — it comes from the teen interviewer, who successfully turns what could have been a fun, local interview into a painful exchange about music.
BuzzFeed uncovered a 1994 interview between then-Senate hopeful Romney and teen reporter Ken Cole. Romney was vying for Ted Kennedy’s seat.
It’s riddled with such conversational gems as the following.
“How do you like this music behind us right now, huh?” Cole asked.
“I like music of almost any kind, including this,” replied Romney.
When you see Mitt Romney opening his mouth nowadays, you wonder if this is the result of running for president or if he’s always sounded like a stereotypical robotic politician. Well, thanks to this 17-year-old interview with a student journalist who is described in the video title as “socially awkward,” we can definitely confirm Romneybot has been running on the same basic program since the 90s.
You’ll probably watch this a couple times:
*Author’s note: As some have correctly noted in the comments, the “toe-curling” isn’t a result of Romney, it comes from the young interviewer. The third paragraph in the story explains why the interview is “awkward” — and it’s not because of Romney.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 592 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 521 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 497 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 393 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 337 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 328 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 286 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 152 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Syria regime unleashes artillery barrage on Qusair
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Gas cylinder blast on Pakistan school bus kills 17
- Late turnovers doom Heat in Game 2 loss, 97-93
- Pacers steal Game 2 from Heat, 97-93
- Official: 2 dead after Angel Flight crashes in NY
- Militants attacks kill 9 in Pakistan