Ousted 5th Grader Speaks! Watch Grayson Thomas Describe What Happened to Him After He Said a Local TV Anchor Looked Like Obama
Since The Blaze initially reported that a fifth grader was kicked out of his elementary school allegedly for saying a local newscaster resembles Barack Obama, the student—Grayson Thomas—has shared details about his ordeal in a videotaped interview.
A recap, according to Grayson and his father, Darren:
Chris Schauble, a Los Angeles TV news anchor, was visiting Stevenson Ranch Elementary School near Santa Clarita, Ca., to have lunch with his daughter, Shelbi, early last month. Grayson—then a schoolmate of Shelbi’s—noticed Schauble drawing a crowd, talking with people and shaking hands, and commented to friends that Schauble looks like President Barack Obama.
When Shelbi learned of Grayson’s comments, she complained to school officials and claimed racism. Grayson, 11, was sent home that day, and his interdistrict transfer was revoked, permanently removing him from the school. Darren told The Blaze that school officials, despite never hearing Grayson’s comments first-hand, interpreted them as meaning “all black men look alike,” a charge Grayson has repeatedly denied. School officials claimed confidentiality laws and would not comment to The Blaze; Schauble did not respond to interview requests from The Blaze.
In the videotaped interview, Grayson says that while he was sitting in the school office before officials sent him home, he heard principal Candace Fleece telling Newhall School District superintendent Marc Winger over the phone that Grayson’s remarks meant that “all black men look alike” and were stated in “a spirit of making fun of [Schauble].” He adds that he also overheard Fleece phone Schauble to apologize for Grayson’s comments.
In an interview with The Blaze last night, Grayson said he was seated next to Fleece’s closed office door but could hear her speaking through it and that she addressed Winger and Schauble by name in separate phone calls.
Grayson denies his comments meant all black men look alike and says he simply observed that Schauble resembled Obama. School officials declined to comment on the video interview with Grayson (and the interview with his father Darren) posted by Cougar News Online.
Here’s the full interview with Grayson (below it is the full interview with Darren, in which he says Schauble should not be blamed for how the school district has treated Grayson):
In The Blaze interview with Grayson last night, he also confirmed that Shelbi did not hear first-hand his comments about her father and Obama; nevertheless she and her friends confronted Grayson later, with Shelbi telling Grayson that “you and your family have no life.”
Since the incident, Grayson has been attending Tesoro Del Valle Elementary of neighboring Saugus Union School District. While his father Darren says they have no interest in Grayson returning to Stevenson Ranch even if Newhall offered it, he still wants a public apology from Winger and Fleece. He and his family have not ruled out legal action, he said.
“[They]‘ve empowered a young girl, and all kids connected with this girl,” Darren originally told The Blaze, “[to believe] that ‘If I don’t like you, all I have to do is say racism and you’re done.’”
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 527 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 466 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 453 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 337 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 324 Comments
- Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Terrorism, London Machete Attack: ‘A Hand-Maiden of Islamic Terrorism’ Read More
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 272 Comments
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- 5 dead in Lebanon clash of Assad foes, backers
- AP Interview: Rogge praises wrestling's changes
- Restaurant torched in 4th night of Sweden riots
- Man shot by FBI had ties to Boston bombing suspect
- Ralph Lauren's 4Q profit rises 35 pct
- Father of man shot in Boston probe shares regrets
- Russian court denies Pussy Riot's Alekhina parole
- Britain: Soldier slaying suspects had been probed