‘Tis the Season: Secret Santas Pay Off Needy Families’ Layaway Bills at Local Kmart
There seems to be no shortage of depressing, if not tragic news stories circulating the wires on any given day. That is why stories like the one we’re about to bring you — especially at such a festive time of year — are made all the more profound and heartwarming.
It all started Monday evening at a Plainfield, Michigan Kmart, when an unidentified woman paid off $500 worth of layaway bills for needy customers. The woman also donated a shopping cart full of toys to the store.
Now string of copy-cat “Secret Santas” could be on the rise.
Local NBC affiliate Wood TV8 brings us the details:
“This lady came up randomly and said, ‘Can I, you know, pay off some people’s layaway?’” said Dannell Goddard. Goddard works at Kmart in the layaway department. She told 24 Hour News 8 that when she first heard the request, she was a bit confused.
“I was like, ‘Well, are you trying to pick them up? ‘Cause you can’t pick them up if you don’t have an ID,” Goddard said. “And [the mystery woman] replied, ‘Nope, I just want to help people.’”
The woman looked through several of the about 800 layaway contract tickets at the store. She randomly picked and paid the bill on three of them. She paid about $500 between all three of them and left a $10 balance on each of the accounts.
The woman’s only requirement was that there were toys in the layaway orders.
“It was really crazy the way she did it. She was so excited and so happy to do it,” said Goddard. “She had a great heart, and I told her that I felt like she had a great heart, and she said she doesn’t want to take appreciation for it. She just felt that she was blessed and she wanted to bless others.”
One of the recipients was Mary Chapin, who told News 8 the act of kindness “restored her faith in people.”
Chapin had put about $200 worth of toys on layaway for her autistic son, David, and was hoping to pay off the balance by the week before Christmas.
Needless to say, the struggling mom got the surprise of her life, when Kmart called to inform her that she only had a $10 balance left on her account.
She calls the woman “an angel.”
“Even though we’re all in the same boat, nobody’s thinking about anyone else, it’s every man for himself,” Chapin told News 8. “To have somebody come along behind, and just do something that’s totally unnecessary but so appreciated, it just really made a difference.”
But the story doesn’t end there. Just days after News 8 aired its report on the anonymous Secret Santa and “copycat” Samaritan also paid a visit to the Plainfield Kmart and settled 14 layaway bills totaling around $2,000.
The man, who also says he wishes to remain unidentified says he hopes that his copycatting will inspire other to copycat him.
In the spirit of the season, please enjoy these inspirational and uplifting clips.
WZZM talks about the copycat Secret Santa:
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 478 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 419 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 374 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 298 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 266 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ Read More
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 109 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 212 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 173 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 111 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Senators warm to transportation nominee
- Judge seals affidavit of Maine man in teen's death
- Man who kidnapped 2 Iowa girls had long record
- HP's slumps deepens in 2Q as earnings fall 32 pct
- Faith healers charged with murder after 2nd death
- Man shot to death while questioned in Boston probe
- Polish man gets quick face transplant after injury
- Soldier charged with videotaping women