Christmas Cartoon Featuring Santa’s Demonic ‘Helper’ Yanked From Travel Channel
The Christmas season is filled with television specials that remind us of our childhood. From “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” to “The Grinch,” holiday favorites offer a lesson for viewers, while enabling them to celebrate and experience the Christmas spirit.
But when a new, animated holiday cartoon called “A Krampus Carol” was produced for the Travel Channel, it was apparently a bit too creepy and disturbing to be aired. So, executives decided to pull the plug.
Anthony Bourdain, a chef and television personality who hosts the Travel Channel’s “No Reservations” show, apparently wrote the short cartoon. He took the Austrian legend of Krampus, a mythical demon-like creature who accompanies Santa and punishes children who land on the “Naughty List,” and attempted to bring it to the small screen.
Gawker reports about why the network made the decision not to air the cartoon:
Apparently, they felt the world was not quite ready for a stop-motion retelling of Santa’s “whip-toting sidekick” who “whips and licks naughty children” with his 12-inch tongue then “carries them off in his sack” — a source tells us they cited sensitivities regarding the Penn State scandal when delivering Bourdain the disappointing news.
But while the short cartoon isn’t going to air on the Travel Channel, it can be seen on YouTube in its entirety. Below, watch Bourdain’s ”A Krampus Carol:”
Krampus is the dark companion of St. Nicholas, the traditional European winter gift-bringer who rewards good children each year on December 6. The kindly old Saint leaves the task of punishing bad children to a hell-bound counterpart known by many names across the continent — Knecht Ruprecht, Certa, Perchten, Black Peter, Schmutzli, Pelznickel, Klaubauf, and Krampus. Usually seen as a classic devil with horns, cloven hooves and monstrous tongue, but can also be spotted as a sinister gentleman dressed in black or a hairy man-beast. Krampus punishes the naughty children, swatting them with switches and rusty chains before dragging them in baskets to a fiery place below.
Here’s a short video that provides a quick Krampus recap:
And here’s a disturbing parade of Krampuses that was filmed in Graz, Austria, back in 2010:
Thankfully, Krampus wasn’t a part of my own Christmas tradition growing up. He’s enough to scare any mischievous child back onto the Nice List with ease.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 580 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 518 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 494 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 385 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 335 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 313 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 268 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 149 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins
- No shave for Johnson after Nats top Phillies 5-2
- Dead Pa. baby's dad believes in 'divine healing'
- Cochran, Perry tied for lead in Senior PGA
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- NKorean envoy delivers letter to China's president
- Zimmermann wins 8th; Nationals top Phillies 5-2
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US