Homeowner’s Association ‘Steals’ Family’s Virgin Mary Statue
It seems that every other week there’s something in the news about a homeowner who has to fight for his right to display the American flag on his property.
Well, how about a twist on an old favorite?
Some Pittsburgh residents are finding out the hard way that, much like the American flag stories, the homeowner’s association strictly adheres to rules prohibiting anything in designated “common ground” areas, even if it’s a statue of Our Lady.
“I had a Blessed Mother statue sitting out here,” Steven Vasko told CBS Pittsburgh, referring to the statute he had displayed just below one of the condominium’s windows.
“Yeah it was taken,” Vasko said. “The association—they stole it.”
And he’s not making wild accusations. The homeowner’s association actually had someone remove the 150-pound cement statue from where the Vaskos had placed it, reports CBS.
What was the association’s justification for removing the statue?
It’s “common ground.” No one is allowed to have anything these designated areas, so the statue had to go.
And it doesn’t end there.
After the association removed his statue from the property, they notified him that he would have to pay a fine if he ever wanted to see it again.
“I have to pay a fine,” he said. “Would that be extortion or kidnapping? You tell me, I don’t know.”
See the CBS report:
Prior to the Blessed Mother’s kidnapping, the Vaskos were also being fined by the association for every month they violated policy by having the statue outside “illegally.” Currently, the total fine for displaying the statue–which the Vaskos refuse to pay–is $4,000.
But wait, there’s more.
Because the Vaskos refuse to pay the fines, the homeowner’s association has also revoked the family’s rights for them to park on the property.
“This is religious persecution. This is discrimination. Is it a losing battle to hold your ground? No,” Vasko said. “If you are, then we might as well all quit as Americans and say, ‘Have a nice day, bye.’”
Currently, both sides refuse to back down. The association is sticking to its guns and Vasko refuses to budge on the issue. However, it’s probably safe to say that this fight is a little more personal for Vasko.
“I made a promise to the Blessed Mother and I’m keeping it,” Vasko said. “And this is about her. This isn’t about me.”
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 469 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 442 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 357 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 329 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 267 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ Read More
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 178 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 142 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 106 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 102 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Weak yen a help for Japan, but headache elsewhere
- One block: How neighbors saw twister's deadly path
- Officials: Suspect lunged at FBI agent with knife
- Oklahoma tornado damage could top $2 billion
- Judge: Hollister clothing unfriendly to disabled
- Bahrain opposition group snubs crisis talks
- Officials: Man lunged at FBI agent with knife while being questioned about Boston bombings
- AP Source: Coach K returning to US men's team