Is Google Maps Revealing U.S. Military Secrets? Take a Look At These Pictures
Last month, Google Maps revealed what looked to be secret structures in China’s Gobi Desert. They were theorized to be used for calibration of spy satellites. But could Google Maps be revealing U.S. military secrets as well?
Fox News reports that U.S. Military bases are searchable on Google Maps, one of which seems to show a top-secret drone on the landing strip:
At Google Maps, anyone can search for the names of military bases and zoom in to see airstrips and possibly even top-secret military drones like the RQ-170 Sentinel lost in Iran last week. Aviation website Flight Global has done just that, and claims to have found the secret airstrip at Yucca Lake, Nev., used for testing the RQ-170.
The Google Maps site shows satellite images of either a Predator or Reaper drone on the airstrip, although Flight Global says the RQ-170 was tested there as well — information that’s surely of interest to the Iranian military, said Cedric Leighton, a retired Air Force colonel.
“Iranians would be most interested in operational bases because that tells them how we fly our surveillance missions,” Leighton told FoxNews.com.
“Google is making public what was once the sole province of the military and intelligence community, making this a brave new world for the intel agencies as well,” he said.
Fight Global states that the image taken in early 2011 shows not only the drone, but more than 5,000 feet of runway, four hangars and details of the airfield, including ongoing construction.
Leighton told Fox News that while Google has the right to show these images, it should choose not to for national security. Leighton also noted that the military blocked Google Earth on military bases, due to up close photography.
On the other hand, Fox News reports Dr. John Michener, chief scientist at security firm Casaba, as saying that the military should know when satellites are overhead and take action to hide equipment it may not want seen.
Fox News reports that Google did not return a request for comment.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,030 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 434 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 309 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 249 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 135 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 223 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 132 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Spurs blow late lead, beat Grizzlies 93-89 in OT
- Sharks tie series with 2-1 win over Kings
- Portland, Ore., rejecting water fluoridation
- North Korea sends leader's special envoy to China
- Early vote points to close race as LA picks mayor
- Straily, Cespedes push A's past Rangers 1-0
- Apple case seen as possible spur to tax action
- Bernanke testimony to be studied for policy clues