Dick Cheney on Gingrich: ‘I Wouldn’t Underestimate Him’
Former Vice President Dick Cheney has a message for America: don’t underestimate Newt Gingrich. In an interview with CNN’s Erin Burnett, Cheney praised the Republican presidential contender’s persistence and tenaciousness, though he declined endorsing him (or any of the other candidates, for that matter).
“I have not endorsed anybody. I’ve stayed religiously out of the fray on our side this year,” Cheney told Burnett. “I’ve been trying to sell books and that’s where my efforts have been focused.”
But when Burnett began asking about the GOP field, Cheney did offer his honest assessment of Gingrich’s record. After telling the CNN host that both he and Gingrich arrived at Congress during the same year — 1978 — the vice president went on to discuss the presidential hopeful’s quest for a Republican majority in the House of Representatives.
“When Newt showed up he said, ‘We can become the majority. We can take back the House of Representatives.’ We hadn’t had the House since the 1940s,” Cheney explained. “Initially none of us believed him, but he was persistent and he was tenacious. He kept it up…and finally by ’94, he’s the newly elected speaker of the House of Representatives with a Republican majority.”
Cheney concluded these remarks by telling Burnett, “I wouldn’t underestimate him.” The vice president was also sure to note, for a second time, that he isn’t yet endorsing any candidates.
Watch Cheney’s comments about Gingrich, below:
During another part of their discussion, Burnett asked Cheney of President Barack Obama should consider changing vice presidents in 2012.
“Any advice I’d give Barack Obama today would be, take a look at it,” Cheney responded. “Because there are a lot of good people out there. And it’s not personal. You go out and find the best candidate you can to run. And maybe, if he goes through that process, he’d end up with Joe Biden. On the other hand, there are people like Hillary Clinton, for example, your first woman vice president, that might have a certain appeal.”
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 577 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 510 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 491 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 382 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 335 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 305 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 263 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 147 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Zimmermann wins 8th; Nationals top Phillies 5-2
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Calif. teen takes supermodel to prom
- Kuchar leads Colonial when 2nd round suspended
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Police: 'Thong Cape Scooter Man' not breaking law
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81