North Carolinian Town’s New Year’s Eve Opossum Drop Under PETA Attack
In Brasstown, North Carolina, residents aren’t glued to their TV screen on New Years Eve to watch the Times Square ball drop. They are at Clay’s Corner to watch the annual Opossum Drop.
But that could all change if PETA gets its way. USA Today reports that PETA has called Clay Logan’s Opossum Drop, which has been happening for 18 years, “cruel and illegal.”
The opossum is not dropped in a free fall, but is lowered in a garland-covered Plexiglas container.
USA Today has more:
Logan was undeterred after hearing about PETA’s allegation. He’s been down this road before.
In 2005, the group threatened to sue him for not having proper permits to keep a wild animal so he placed a dead opossum in the box and raised it up the pole outside his gas station. The opossum was road-kill.
The crowd, which can number as high as 3,000 with good weather, was not pleased that year and neither was Logan.
“People didn’t like it at all,” he said. “I got scolded heavy but I said ‘Hey, I can’t afford to be sued.’”
Logan said he has all his permits, though PETA disagrees.
PETA said the opossum “suffers through a barrage of terrifying stimuli” such as fireworks and gunfire.
“Ignorance of the law is not a defense, and cruelty to animals is indefensible,” PETA Director Delcianna Winders said in a written statement. “Using a captive opossum as the centerpiece of a raucous party is cruel and illegal.”
Watch the 2010 Opossum Drop:
Logan states that none of the opossums have played dead during the event, something they are known to do if frightened or feeling threatened. He also said to USA Today that he picks the star opossum from a tree before New Year’s Eve and keeps it fed. He noted that because they are well fed under his care, some are hesitant to leave after the show is done.
PETA says they’ve sent a letter to Logan in hopes of persuading again him to find an alternative to using a live animal at the event. They want him to emulate Tallapoosa, Ga.’s New Year’s Eve Possum Drop.
“The great thing about Tallapoosa is that they don’t use a live possum,” PETA lawyer Brittany Peet said. “They use a taxidermied possum.” And because it’s the same stuffed critter every year, it’s become something of a local mascot, Peet said.
The Opossum Drop may be North Carolina’s most distinctive New Year’s celebration, but the state has plenty of other “drops” planned for that day as well, including a giant acorn, a 30-pound flea made of fabric and wool and a light-up pickle replica in the vegetable-canning hotbed of Mt. Olive.
Watch the official trailer of the opossum drop here.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 999 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 438 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 394 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 293 Comments
- ‘Arrogance…Abuse of Power…Rotten to the Core’: Paul Ryan Steamed Over IRS, Benghazi 198 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 160 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 192 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth Read More
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have no Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds 102 Comments
- Experienced Heat, upstart Pacers ready to go
- Key senator to let Myanmar sanctions bill lapse
- Arias asks jury to give her life in prison
- Sorrentino, Bruni Tedeschi bring Italy to Cannes
- Correction: Missing Mom-Utah story
- Gay Fla. teen charged for underage girlfriend
- Car bomb, other attacks kill 20 in Iraq
- Top figures barred from Iran's June ballot