Hugo Chavez: Obama is ‘a Clown’ and ‘an Embarrassment’
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez reportedly called President Barack Obama “a clown” and “an embarrassment” Monday, following strong comments from Obama in a written interview with Caracas newspaper El Universal, the Guardian reported.
“Focus on governing your country, which you’ve turned into a disaster,” Chavez told state television Monday, in reference to Obama.
In the interview with El Universal, Obama said he is concerned about actions the Venezuelan government has taken that have “restricted the universal rights of the Venezuelan people, threatened basic democratic values and failed to contribute to the security in the region,” according to the Guardian’s report on the Spanish language interview.
He also criticized Venezuela’s relationship with Iran and Cuba, saying, “it seems to me that the ties between Venezuela’s government and Iran and Cuba have not served the interests of Venezuela and its people.”
Referring to Iran, Obama said: “Sooner or later, Venezuela’s people will have to decide what possible advantage there is in having relations with a country that violates fundamental human rights and is isolated from most of the world.”
“Mr. Obama decided to attack us,” Chavez said in response to Obama’s words, according to the Guardian. “Now you want to win votes by attacking Venezuela. Don’t be irresponsible. You are a clown, a clown. Leave us in peace….Go after your votes by fulfilling that which you promised your people.”
Chavez’s remarks show he’s apparently had change of heart with regard to Obama: A year ago, he invited him to Venezuela to “sit down to talk, to eat socialist arepas,” a popular corn-based pancake.
This is not the first time Chavez has spoken in insulting terms about a U.S. president: In 2006, he referred to then-President George W. Bush as “the devil” during a meeting of the United Nations General Assembly.
“The devil came here yesterday,” Chavez said when he addressed the U.N., referring to Bush, who had spoken the day before. “And it smells of sulfur still today.”
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 507 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 463 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 447 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 412 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 392 Comments
- Workplace Violence? Obama Finally Says Fort Hood Shooting Was ‘Inspired by Larger Notions of Violent Jihad’ Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With Read More
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? Read More
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 128 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 112 Comments
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- Czech police say US suspect in 4 murders arrested
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- Russia: Syrian regime may take part in peace talks
- UK police: 2 men arrested after flight from Pakistan to England diverted
- China, Switzerland to seal free trade deal
- Q&A: On Turkey's proposed alcohol restrictions
- UN chief challenges African leaders over Congo
- Uganda president ousts army boss amid dispute