President Obama Allegedly Sent This Congratulatory Letter to a Recently-Married Gay Couple
President Barack Obama has characterized his views on same-sex marriage as “evolving.” While he has traditionally opposed gay marriage, some intriguing developments — including a wedding card he purportedly sent to a gay couple — are leading to questions surrounding whether he’ll soon change his mind. With the campaign cycle heating up, this may be a demographic he’ll more actively pursue.
Regarding the alleged note: A recently-married gay couple has come forward saying that they received a random card from the president. The note, which offers them well-wishes as they start their life together, may be further evidence that Obama is preparing to turn a corner on his views on gay matrimonies (or, at the least, it’s an indicator that he’s ready to actively pursue votes among this electoral cohort).
The letter, which was dated Dec. 8, 2011, offers congratulations “on this special occasion.” It goes on to say that both Michelle and the president “hope it is blessed with love, laughter, and happiness.”
The relatively short note, which appears to be on White House stationary, concludes, “I wish you the very best as you embark on your journey together and hope that your bond grows stronger with each passing year.”
You can see it for yourself, below:
Matt Katz and his husband Aaron were married on July 24th at Borough Hall in Brooklyn. They have no idea why they received the card.
Matt says, “I’m not sure why the letter got sent to us. Aaron and I were married on July 24th at Borough Hall. However, we had our wedding ceremony on July 23rd at my dad’s house the day before. Maybe word got out that we were outlaws for a day?”
If Obama did, indeed, send this letter, it would be yet another act that could help rally a portion of the electorate the president has been trying to attract — gays and lesbians. Already, the Obama administration has dropped the court fight to preserve the Defense of Marriage Act. Additionally, the military’s “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy is no longer on the books.
While the letter may be a fake, it’s certainly interesting to note the “evolution” that could be unfolding.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 465 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 440 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 323 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 293 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 258 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 123 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 196 Comments
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 135 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 106 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 144 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- NY funeral for student accidentally shot by police
- Clearwire board approves higher Sprint offer
- Bernanke signals Fed to maintain stimulus efforts
- IRS official in center of targeting probe: 'I have not done anything wrong.'
- EU bid to label Hezbollah wing terror group
- AAA: 31.2M drivers to take Memorial Day road trip
- Iraqi premier orders army shake-up after attacks
- FBI: Man fatally shot in Boston bombing probe