Allen West Says Holder’s Use of the ‘Race Card’ Is ‘Slap in My Face as a Professional African American’
“I’m disgusted. I find it absolutely reprehensible because this is not about skin color. This is about your character. This is about your competence. This is about your ability to lead. And this is about potentially you having misled the Congress and the American people on this operation Fast and Furious,” Rep. Allen West (R-FL) told NRA News.
Why did Rep. West have such strong words for attorney general Eric Holder?
Recently, the calls for Holder’s resignation on Capitol Hill have increased as the investigation into the ATF’s “Fast and Furious” gunrunning probe intensifies. Perhaps overwhelmed by the growing pressure, Holder tried to explain the that “more extreme segment” of his critics were going after him because of his race.
“This is a way to get at the president because of the way I can be identified with him, both due to the nature of our relationship and, you know, the fact that we’re both African-American,” Holder said in an interview with The New York Times.
However, many argue that race has nothing to do with the growing–and increasingly heated–criticism Holder has faced recently.
“I think it’s fair criticism. When you look at Fast and Furious … when you look at guns ending up in the hands of drug lords and criminals south of the border, I think that’s fair criticism,” J.C. Watts, a former Republican congressman from Oklahoma, told Fox News.
An African American himself, Watts warned against injecting race into the issue.
“I think it cheapens and it weakens the legitimate claims of racism,” he said. “I think racism is obviously alive and well, but I think it cheapens it when we so quickly and in such cavalier ways, we often jump to that. Now I’m not saying that the attorney general’s being cavalier. … He probably honestly feels like that.”
Watts’ criticism of Holder’s introduction of racism into the discussion pales in comparison to the words West had for the attorney general.
“It is a slap in my face as a professional African American member of Congress and a career military officer, that this gentleman who is the head of the Department of Justice is going to resort to that very nefarious theme of the race card,” West said.
Listen to the NRA interview:
(h/t Weasel Zippers)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 592 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 521 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 498 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 393 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 337 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 331 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 286 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 152 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Kerry makes sub-Saharan Africa visit
- Angel Flight crashes in NY, 2 killed, 1 missing
- Syria regime unleashes artillery barrage on Qusair
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Gas cylinder blast on Pakistan school bus kills 17
- Late turnovers doom Heat in Game 2 loss, 97-93
- Pacers steal Game 2 from Heat, 97-93