School Stuffed Autistic Boy in Bag as Punishment, Mother Says
The mother of a 9-year-old autistic boy said public school employees stuffed her son into a ball bag for misbehaving.
Sandra Baker’s son Chris is enrolled in a special needs program at Mercer County Intermediate School in central Kentucky. She said she was called to the school on Dec. 14 after receiving a call that Chris had been acting up.
“When I walked in,” Baker told CBS affiliate WKYT-TV, “I went down his hallway, and I saw this big green bag laying in the floor beside the aide that was sitting beside the bag, and I saw it moving.”
She was told Chris was in the bag as punishment and that it was a form of therapy.
“It was a drawstring at the top and it had a hole about this big around left in the top of it,” Baker described, indicating a small opening. “There was no way he could get out of it, could not get his head through it if he needed to.”
Baker said she was particularly concerned about what could have happened in the event of a fire.
“The comment I got on that was well, we would have drug the bag out the school,” she said. “It’s OK, just drag my son out some steps and break his bones.”
State education officials are investigating the matter.
“Upon learning of the allegations, the school system reviewed the incident immediately, and the matter is being handled consistently with school district policies and with state and federal law,” Mercer County Schools Interim Superintendent Dennis Davis said in a news release, according to WKYT.
The district declined to comment on specifics, saying only that its employees receive appropriate training and certification, according to the station.
More than 700 people have signed an online petition decrying the school’s actions.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,038 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 437 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 313 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 254 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 166 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 114 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 103 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 136 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Lowe's 1Q profit rises, chilly spring hurts sales
- US auto factories cutting back on summer downtime
- Chinese premier visits Pakistan, praises ties
- EU leaders discuss fight against tax evasion
- Octogenarians race to be oldest Everest climber
- Iran's Ahmadinejad denounces election decision
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor
- Diplomats: Iran expands nuke technology