NASCAR Driver Apologizes for ‘Offensive’ Tweets About Public Breastfeeding
NASCAR driver Kasey Kahne has now reversed course and is apologizing for what he dubbed “offensive” tweets about public breastfeeding. Kahne had earlier recalled an incident where he saw a mother breastfeeding her baby in the supermarket, and tweeted that the incident made him uncomfortable and even caused him to lose his appetite. When a reader called him out on his comments, he responded by calling the reader a “dumb bit**.”
“I understand that my comments regarding breastfeeding posted on Twitter were offensive to some people,” Kahne said on his Facebook page. “For that, I apologize. It was in no way my intention to offend any mother who chooses to breastfeed her child, or, for that matter, anyone who supports breast feeding children. I want to make that clear.”
In all honestly, I was surprised by what I saw in a grocery store. I shared that reaction with my fans on Twitter. It obviously wasn’t the correct approach, and, after reading your feedback, I now have a better understanding of why my posts upset some of you.
My comments were not directed at the mother’s right to breastfeed. They were just a reaction to the location of that choice, and the fashion in which it was executed on that occasion.
I respect the mother’s right to feed her child whenever and wherever she pleases.
Kahne also apologized to the woman he lashed out to via Twitter:
As we reported yesterday, the comments came on the day that breastfeeding advocates staged a “nurse-in” at Target stores nationwide. It was a move to stand in solidarity with a Houston mother who says she was harassed by employees at a Target store because of her decision to breastfeed in public.
“It’s a statement saying ‘we’re not freaks,’” Clarissa Bradford, who participated in a nurse-in in Phoenix, told ABC15. “We’re not walking around with our breasts hanging out. Even if we are, it’s just to feed our babies.”
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,026 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 461 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 432 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 307 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 247 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 119 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 221 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 131 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- State media shows NKorea has new military chief
- Paille's goal puts Bruins on verge of East finals
- Aretha Franklin taking June off, postponing shows
- State media dispatch shows North Korea has named hardline general as new military chief
- Portland, Ore., rejecting water fluoridation
- North Korean leader sends 'special envoy' to China
- 10 Things to Know for Wednesday
- Singer Kellie Pickler named new 'Dancing' champ