Is New Discovery Show ‘Moonshiners’ Exaggerated and Dramatized?
NORFOLK, Va. (AP) — Virginia alcohol regulators say the Discovery Channel’s “Moonshiners” television show is misleading viewers into thinking the state is tolerating illegal booze manufacturing and that it wouldn’t have participated if they knew how the episodes would turn out.
The television series is about people who brew their own moonshine and local authorities’ efforts to track them down. The show includes actual western Virginia residents and state agents.
Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control spokeswoman Kathleen Shaw told The Associated Press in an email Thursday that viewers have asked why the state is allowing a crime to take place. Shaw said the show is a dramatization, and no illegal liquor is actually being produced.
“If illegal activity was actually taking place, the Virginia ABC Bureau of Law Enforcement would have taken action,” Shaw wrote.
Earlier Thursday, the department issued a statement saying it would not have participated in the filming had they known how the show would’ve turned out.
“Virginia ABC agreed to participate in an informative piece that documents the history of moonshine and moonshine investigations in Virginia. Virginia ABC did not participate nor was aware of the false depiction of moonshine manufacturing, distribution and/or transportation in the filming, and would not have participated in the `documentary’ had it known of this portrayal,” the statement said.
Shaw said the Discovery Channel had been asked to add a disclaimer “but the request was overlooked.”
Messages left with a show publicist Thursday were not immediately returned.
Among other things, a Nov. 30 news release announcing the show’s premiere says that “Viewers will witness practices rarely, if ever, seen on television including the sacred rite of passage for a moonshiner – firing up the still for the first time.”
The release does not specify whether parts of the show are dramatized.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 507 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 466 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 447 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 415 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 331 Comments
- Workplace Violence? Obama Finally Says Fort Hood Shooting Was ‘Inspired by Larger Notions of Violent Jihad’ Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With Read More
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? Read More
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 128 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 113 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets That Can Turn You Into a Detective Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- Czech police say US suspect in 4 murders arrested
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- Russia: Syrian regime may take part in peace talks
- UK police: 2 men arrested after flight from Pakistan to England diverted
- China, Switzerland to seal free trade deal
- Q&A: On Turkey's proposed alcohol restrictions
- UN chief challenges African leaders over Congo
- Uganda president ousts army boss amid dispute